Dec 29, 2013, 7:55 AM EDT
Only a win would return the Gunners to the top spot in the Premier League table, as they must keep pace with Manchester City.
Newcastle are no easy visit, with the home side having won seven of their last nine Premier League matches, vaulting them all the way to seventh in the table.
In the Magpies squad, Cheick Tiote returns from his yellow card suspension, and will be reinserted into the midfield in his usual enforcer role.
Arsenal – Szczesny; Sagna, Mertesacker, Koscielny, Gibbs; Flamini, Rosicky, Wilshere, Walcott, Cazorla; Giroud.
Bench – Fabianski, Jenkinson, Arteta, Ryo, Bendtner, Gnabry, Podolski.
- WATCH: Saturday’s top 5 goals in Major League Soccer 0
- MLS roundup: Houston, Vancouver sit on top of their conferences after day one 0
- Rare bad night from Robbie Keane costs LA Galaxy against Real Salt Lake 0
- Atlantic crushed: D.C. United, New York open the season with three-goal losses 2
- Stoppage time goal gives Seattle 1-0 opening day win over Sporting Kansas City (video) 10
- Premier League Roundup: Chelsea clear at the top, Manchester United click, Cardiff bag huge win 0
- Dallas Manage 3-2 Win in Season Opener Against Impact
- Dynamo Shut Out the Revs as Bruin Scores a Pair
- Argentine Melodies Illuminate Rainy Night in Portland
- LA Galaxy Gift Real Salt Lake Three Points in Season Opener
- Berhalter Gets First Win as Columbus Downs D.C. United 3-0
- Colorado Rapids - 3 Hopes and One Fear
- NYRB Don't Know What Hits Them in Emphatic 4-1 Whitecaps Win
- John Terry Rules out International Return
- Aberdeen March on in Scottish FA Cup
- 2014 MLS Season: Rebuilding The San Jose Earthquakes