Dec 30, 2013, 2:08 PM EDT
Arsenal are said to be looking at Fulham’s Dimitar Berbatov to add extra attacking options to their forward line in January. The 32-year-old Bulgarian striker has done it a big clubs in the past as he starred for Bayer Leverkusen and Manchester United in the UEFA Champions League. However Berba currently finds himself in the thick of a relegation scrap with the Cottagers and with his contract set to expire in six months anyway, it’s believed Fulham would let him leave for around $3 million in January. A proven goalscorer on the cheap… would this be a good idea for the Gunners?
Xabi Alonso is set for a return to the Premier League with his former Real Madrid boss keen to bring him to Chelsea. Looking for a key holding player, Jose Mourinho wants to raid former club Real to grab Spanish international Alonso who has stalled on a new contract at the Santiago Bernabeu. The Spanish midfielder, 32, would be a great fit to balance the huge number of attacking midfielder the ‘Special One’ currently has on the books at Stamford Bridge and is a free agent in the summer. However he could join Chelsea sooner than that if Real allow him to leave for a nominal fee in January. Chelsea re said to have offered the former Liverpool star a two-year deal with an option of a third year.
According to reports Stoke want to bolster their defense by bringing in former Chelsea utility man Michael Mancienne from Bundesliga side Hamburg. The 25-year-old has played for Hamburg the last two and a half season but has been getting mixed reviews and could be available on loan in January. The former England Under-21 international can operate as a central defender or a holding midfielder and would proved Mark Hughes’s Potters with cover in those areas.
Manchester United winger Nani has been approached by Italian giants Juventus, as the Portuguese star continues to fall down the pecking order at Old Trafford. Antonio Valencia and Adnan Januzaj are well ahead of Nani but the winger only signed a new five-year deal over the summer. The 27-year-old has failed to play for the Red Devils since December 7 and David Moyes may look to offload the talented yet temperamental attacker to fuel a January spending spree in the transfer market. The emergence of teenage sensation Januzaj has made Nani almost surplus to requirements at Untied. Watch this space.
Finally, staying with United and their young striker Nick Powell could be set for yet another loan move as the former Crewe Alexandra star continues to impress at Championship club Wigan. The 19-year-old has scored eight times in 23 appearances for the Latics this term and Moyes apparently wants to see how Powell performs in the Premier League. Both Swansea City and former United captain Steve Bruce at Hull, want to take Powell on loan for the rest of the season to see how he fares. This young man is in demand.
- Alan Pardew handed hefty ban, fined for headbutt 1
- Preview: Atlético Madrid back on track before Champions League visit from goal-shy Milan 0
- Preview: Bayern Munich on guard ahead of Arsenal’s Champions League visit 0
- Third time’s the harm: Fan violence forces abandonment of Trabzonspor’s match with Fenerbahce 2
- If you had Pepe Reina in your “European star rumored for MLS” pool today, you win! 1
- US women lose second straight for first time since 2001 after ugly 5-3 defeat to Denmark 4
- Sporting KC's Television Network Expands
- American Investment Firm Buying Up Man United Stock
- Earthquakes vs. Toluca: CONCACAF Champions League
- San Jose Earthquakes Acquire Benfica Midfielder Yannick Djalo
- Revs Waive DelPiccolo; Roster Stands at 27
- Inter President Denies Holding Talks with Chicharito
- Nearly Perfect Start for Galaxy, Result Aside
- USWNT Lose to Denmark 5-3 in Algarve Cup
- Real Salt Lake's Nick Rimando Named MLS Player of the Week
- Will Johnson Signs New Multi-Year Contract With Portland Timbers