Dec 31, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT
West Ham are set to complete the signing of teenage striker Jaanai Gordon on January 1st after agreeing to a deal with League One side Peterborough.
The 18-year-old Gordon has been on trial with the Hammers and recently scored in an Under-18 match against Aston Villa and in two first-team friendlies.
Since September 2012 Gordon has appeared in seven first team games for Peterborough.
The Northampton-born striker is the first of what’s expected to be a few striker signings for West Ham, who have also been linked with a loan bid for Al Ain striker Asamoah Gyan and a loan bid or full purchase of Everton hit man Nikica Jelavic.
Gordon is known as a powerful striker with notable pace and a nose for goals. The question then becomes – Can Gordon make an immediate impact for West Ham?
“If it all comes together for Jaanai then West Ham have got themselves a really top player,” said Gavin Strachan, Gordon’s old youth coach at Posh.
West Ham currently sit 19th in the table after winning just one of their last 10 Premier League fixtures.
- Homegrown star Shipp hoping to guide Chicago to first win of 2014 0
- WATCH: Premier League TV schedule – Week 35 0
- Jurgen Klinsmann on Jozy Altidore’s situation, USMNT squad and more 1
- Three Liverpool players on PFA Player of the Year shortlist 0
- Week 7 Preview: Fire look for first win vs. Revs; Dallas gets its crack at Toronto 0
- Report: Aston Villa ownership will change hands if club stays up 4