Jan 1, 2014, 10:31 PM EDT
From both sides of the equation, Ole Gunnar Solksjær’s hire at Cardiff City looks like a curious one. While the media caricature of Vincent Tan makes clear the obstacles facing the Bluebirds’ manager-to-be, there are also reasons to think the 40-year-old may not be the right man for Cardiff.
At least, that’s the case NBC Analyst Robbie Earle highlights when asked about the hire, above. As Earle notes, a man with more Premier League experience might stand a better chance at reversing the club’s current trend, one that has last season’s second division champions careening toward relegation. Given the unique challenges Tan’s sure to pose, perhaps a person who has navigated these waters before would be best for the job?
As Kyle Martino notes, Solskjær hasn’t put himself in a good position either, going against some of his famous former boss’s advise. Choose stability when picking a job, Alex Ferguson’s said to have told Solksjær. Go for the owner, not the club.
If the common conception of Tan is true, Solskjær has gone against that advice. Then again, the common competition of the Glazer family claims they’re terrible owners, yet Ferguson enjoyed some of his most dominant years under their employ. It’s almost as if, from this side of the equation, we only see a very limited view of what these owners are all about, views a couple select factors (Malkay Mackay’s media savvy, the English media’s coverage of United’s debt) can skew.
Like the Glazers, perhaps there’s something about Tan we don’t know. For now, though, the Match of the Day panel is taking a wait-and-see approach to Solskjær’s appointment.
- Transfer needs – Manchester United, Newcastle, QPR, Southampton, Stoke 0
- Preview: Possible “Groups of Death” galore in UEFA Champions League draw 2
- Wayne Rooney named new England captain as youthful squad selected 2
- Report: Diego Costa could be out four to six weeks with hamstring injury 1
- Transfer needs – Everton, Hull, Leicester, Liverpool, Manchester City 1
- Olivier Giroud undergoes ankle surgery, out 3-4 months for Arsenal 0