Jan 1, 2014, 12:40 PM EDT
The Toffees deserved a point and got one late, drawing 1-1 at Stoke City.
Oussama Assaidi scored a beauty just after half for the Potters. He was in the catbird seat off John Stones‘ clear to the top of the 18, allowed two touches by the Toffees before firing a shot past a diving Howard to put Stoke up 1-0 n the 49th minute.
In the 12th minute, Everton won a corner and Gareth Barry came close to putting the Toffees ahead but his header popped over the bar.
Everton’s James McCarthy came to the other end and made a darting move atop the 18 before firing wide in the 20th minute.
Captain Ryan Shawcross was shown a yellow card for a sliding tackle on Barry and it provided a 58th minute free kick for Everton from strides outside the box, to no avail.
Kevin Mirallas had hard luck for Everton, hitting the woodwork twice including a late-first-half free kick.
Stoke City: Sorensen (Butland, 45); Cameron, Shawcross, Wilson, Pieters; Walters (Pennant, 72), Nzonzi, Adam (Palacios, 82), Whelan, Assaidi; Crouch
Goal: Assaidi (49)
Everton: Howard, Baines, Mirallas, McCarthy (Jelavic, 72), Lukaku (Naismith, 81), Barry, Barkley, Pienaar (Osman, 72), Coleman, Stones, Alcaraz
Goal: Baines (PK, 90)
- Real Madrid beat Barcelona to win Copa del Rey, as Bale’s brilliance seals it 1
- It’s official: Atlanta gets Major League Soccer’s 22nd franchise 1
- Manchester City 2-2 Sunderland: Two Wickham goals, late Nasri equalizer leave sides even (video) 2
- Everton 2-3 Crystal Palace: Toffees’ top four hopes take huge hit 6
- Ahead of Atlanta’s expected MLS entry, are NFL stadium shares the way to go? 12
- Premier League Preview: Man City host Sunderland, Everton face Palace 0