Jan 1, 2014, 9:24 AM EDT
Cardiff City looks for its first win over Arsenal in nearly a half-century when it heads into the Emirates for Saturday morning tilt (watch live on NBCSN, 10am ET and online via NBC Sports Live Extra).
The Bluebirds last win versus Arsenal did come away from home and well before Vincent Tan took charge of Cardiff. In fact, it came more than a decade before recently-dismissed Malky Mackay was born, a 3-2 decision on Feb. 11, 1961.
The Gunners will need to keep pace with Manchester City, who had little trouble in dealing with Swans this morning. Arsenal enters the match briefly two points below the Citizens and will deal with Cardiff without Aaron Ramsey, Meszut Ozil, Olivier Giroud and Kieron Gibbs (not to mention a legion of walking wounded on the pitch; Nacho Monreal, Jack Wilshere and Theo Walcott were in doubt for the match but are in the starting line-up).
Arsenal: Szczesny, Sagna, Mertesacker, Koscielny, Monreal, Arteta, Flamini, Wilshere, Walcott, Cazorla, Podolski
Subs: Fabianski, Vermaelen, Jenkinson, Rosicky, Ryo, Gnabry, Bendtner
Cardiff City: Marshall; McNaughton, Caulker (C), Turner, John; Whittingham, Medel, Kim, Noone, Mutch; Campbell
Subs: Lewis; Hudson, Cornelius, Smith, Gunnarsson, Cowie, Maynard
- Three things we learned from Real Madrid’s win vs. Bayern Munich 1
- Benzema goal holds up as Real Madrid claim 1-0 lead over Bayern Munich 0
- Major League Soccer Power Rankings – Week 7 3
- Moyes statement on dismissal; Reports say he was recruiting to the end 4
- Head coach Marc Wilmots says Adnan Januzaj will play for Belgium 2
- Who’s in across Europe? Glancing at the 2014/15 UEFA Champions League 1