Jan 1, 2014, 11:56 AM EDT
Manchester United finds itself in the bizarre position of having not beaten an opponent in multiple years, as Spurs come to Old Trafford with one win and two draws in its last three fixtures with the Red Devils, including a 3-2 home defeat in Sept. 2012 (watch live at 1230pm ET on NBCSN, and online via NBC Sports Live Extra).
Tottenham has been in good form since the sacking of Andre Villas-Boas and finds itself having claimed 13 points from its last 16, but the Red Devils have been charging as well. They have four consecutive wins, but those decisions have come against Aston Villa, Norwich City, West Ham and Hull.
Wayne Rooney is surprisingly ready to roll, though Robin van Persie is again unavailable for the Red Devils.
Manchester United: De Gea; Smalling, Evans, Vidic, Evra; Valencia, Carrick, Cleverley, Januzaj; Rooney, Welbeck
Subs: Lindegaard, Büttner, Ferdinand, Fletcher, Kagawa, Young, Hernandez
Tottenham Hotspur: Lloris; Walker, Chiriches, Dawson, Rose; Lennon, Capoue, Dembele, Eriksen; Adebayor, Soldado
Subs: Friedel, Fryers, Naughton, Bentaleb, Chadli, Lamela, Kane
- Real Madrid beat Barcelona to win Copa del Rey, as Bale’s brilliance seals it 1
- It’s official: Atlanta gets Major League Soccer’s 22nd franchise 1
- Manchester City 2-2 Sunderland: Two Wickham goals, late Nasri equalizer leave sides even (video) 2
- Everton 2-3 Crystal Palace: Toffees’ top four hopes take huge hit 6
- Ahead of Atlanta’s expected MLS entry, are NFL stadium shares the way to go? 12
- Premier League Preview: Man City host Sunderland, Everton face Palace 0