Jan 2, 2014, 10:05 AM EDT
Cardiff chairman Mehmet Dalman has been in negotiations with Solskjaer since the termination of Malky Mackay last Friday.
On Wednesday, the Molde boss was flown down to London in the private jet of Cardiff owner, Vincent Tan, to watch the 2-0 defeat to Arsenal.
When asked for Wenger’s thoughts on Solskjaer’s imminent appointment, the Arsenal man discussed the need to take chances.
“He has already experience as a manager in Norway, so he has learned his job,” said Wenger. “He was an intelligent player, so he is an intelligent boy as well, and that will help him to be successful.
“It is a chance. Basically what you want when you are young is a chance, and you have to make the maximum of that chance.”
Solskjaer will take over a Cardiff side that sits just two points clear of the relegation zone.
“I have seen him before the game, and they played like they knew he was in the stand,” said Wenger.
“Cardiff has the basic ingredients to survive in the Premier League. You would say if you look at their record they need to add a bit more goals offensively to stay in the league.
“If he [Solskjaer] can find that in the final third something clinical like he was, then they will stay in the league because they have the basic quality to do it.”
Following his retirement from playing in 2007, Solskjaer spent more than three years as coach of Manchester United’s reserve squad before moving to Norwegian side Molde. Since 2011 Solskjaer has won the Tippeligaen league title twice and the Norwegian Cup once.
- US women lose second straight for first time since 2001 after ugly 5-3 defeat to Denmark 2
- Premier League Playback: Fifth place finish for Man United? Superstar Shaw, Arsenal’s big chance 0
- Bayern Munich star Toni Kroos fails to rule out Manchester United move 6
- Manchester United set to bid $50 million for Southampton’s star duo 0
- In MLS, West is best… at least for a weekend 1
- Netherlands and Roma on alert after Kevin Strootman carted off against Napoli 0
- TV Ratings for MLS Season Opener Increase 283% in 1 Year
- Liga MX Radar: Michael Arroyo Scores a Quad
- Sounders FC Monday Morning Breakdown
- Maidana Stars in Impressive Philly Newbie Trio
- Barnsley Send Brek Shea Back to Stoke after Fight with Fan
- Yanks in Mexico: Torres Scores in Tigres Win, Garza Gives Solid Display
- Julio Cesar Put his Semester in Toronto at Risk
- Getafe Fire Luis Garcia, Hire Cosmin Contra as New Manager
- Former Sounders Teammates Rosales and Hurtado Faced off in LA
- The Clock is Ticking for Tim Sherwood at Spurs