Jan 2, 2014, 8:24 AM EST
Cardiff City has appointed Ole Gunnar Solskjaer as manager to replace Malky Mackay.
The club’s official website announced the move:
“Cardiff City Football Club are delighted to announce that Ole Gunnar Solskjær has joined the club as first team manager.
“Following discussions with Tan Sri Vincent Tan and Club Chairman Mehmet Dalman, Ole, joining Cardiff City from Molde FK, today met with his new squad at the Vale training ground and will soon be unveiled to the press at Cardiff City Stadium.”
Following his playing career at Clausenengen, Molde and Manchester United, Solskjaer spent three years as coach of United’s reserves (2008-11) before accepting the job at Molde in 2011. In three seasons with the club he’s won the league title twice as well as the 2013 Norwegian Cup.
Solskjaer spent Thursday morning at Cardiff’s training ground after holding further talks with chairman Mehmet Dalman over replacing Mackay, who was sacked last Friday.
“I feel lucky to be back in the Premier League. I had to have a talk about it with the family obviously but it is a great opportunity,” said Solskjaer.
The former United striker also denied reports that Sir Alex Ferguson had warned him against managing under Cardiff owner Vincent Tan. “He has wished me the best and given me some good advice as he always does. I had a good conversation with him,” he said. “It is absolute nonsense (that he told me to turn down Cardiff).”
Solskjaer takes charge of a Bluebirds squad that sits 17th in the table, one point above the drop zone. His first match in charge will be this Saturday when Cardiff heads to Newcastle United for a third round FA Cup clash.
- Atlantic crushed: D.C. United, New York open the season with three-goal losses 1
- Stoppage time goal gives Seattle 1-0 opening day win over Sporting Kansas City (video) 10
- Premier League Roundup: Chelsea clear at the top, Manchester United click, Cardiff bag huge win 0
- Chelsea 4-0 Tottenham Hotspur: Blues blitz Spurs to extend their lead at the top (video) 0
- Cardiff City 3-1 Fulham: Bluebirds win the relegation dogfight 0
- David Moyes on Manchester United’s win vs. West Brom: “That’s more like it” 0
- Argentine Melodies Illuminate Rainy Night in Portland
- LA Galaxy Gift Real Salt Lake Three Points in Season Opener
- Berhalter Gets First Win as Columbus Downs D.C. United 3-0
- Colorado Rapids - 3 Hopes and One Fear
- NYRB Don't Know What Hits Them in Emphatic 4-1 Whitecaps Win
- John Terry Rules out International Return
- Aberdeen March on in Scottish FA Cup
- 2014 MLS Season: Rebuilding The San Jose Earthquakes
- Players to Watch: Montreal Impact
- Ireland's Premier Division Season Kicks off