Jan 2, 2014, 10:33 AM EDT
Robert Lewandowski is inching closer to a move to Bayern Munich as he is set to travel to the Bavarian capital this weekend to undergo a medical examination.
The medical comes ahead of any official announcement from Bayern but from all accounts, the Borussia Dortmund striker’s transfer this summer is an inevitability.
Abendzeitung Munchen claims that Lewandowski has chosen Munich ahead of a move to Real Madrid, who he famously netted four goals against in the second leg of the UEFA Champions League semifinals last season.
The 25-year old’s move to the Bavarian giants has been in the cards for nearly a year now. Last spring Dortmund reportedly rejected a $34 million (€25M) bid from Munich for Lewandowski’s services, taking their chances in trying to re-sign the Polish international. With his contract at BVB set to expire in the summer, Lewandowski is now free to enter into pre-contract talks throughout January.
Lewandowski’s expected move to the Allianz Arena comes on the heels of former team-mate Mario Gotze, who joined Munich early last summer. It’s a transfer that Dortmund boss Jurgen Klopp would have hoped to have avoid but will now look to mitigate by bidding on a top striker, with Mario Balotelli and Edin Dzeko reportedly on the German side’s radar.
- Watch Live: Chicago Fire vs. New England Revolution (Lineups and Discuss) 0
- Premier League Roundup: Chelsea blow it, Swansea, Spurs and Palace win 0
- VIDEO: Jose Mourinho’s sensational swipe at officials after Chelsea suffer shock defeat 5
- Chelsea 1-2 Sunderland: Blues’ title dreams in ruins, as Black Cats grab shock win 4
- Newcastle United 1-2 Swansea City: Bony’s brace seals crucial win for Swans 0
- West Ham United 0-1 Crystal Palace: Eagles assure second season in Premier League 0