Jan 3, 2014, 12:56 PM EDT
After naming his 26-man squad for the January training camp, Jurgen Klinsmann had let us delve deeper into his thought process behind the selections.
Klinsmann has put a real mixture together, as 10 players involved in the USMNT World Cup qualifying campaign are joined by nine uncapped MLSers.
So, what’s the thinking behind that?
“For us it’s a huge chance to see some players that we haven’t seen closely,” Klinsmann said. “There are other players that we’ve always had on the list but we want to reevaluate them and obviously some of the guys that are always part of the inner-circle of the senior national team.”
Klinsmann also revealed that he’s delighted to take 23 of his squad down to Brazil later this month, to test out the USA’s hotel and training facilities ahead of the World Cup this summer.
“After the first week we will go down to Brazil, down to Sao Paolo for two weeks to test out our facility down there,” Klinsmann revealed. “To train at FC Sao Paolo were we will train during the World Cup and stay at the hotel where we will stay, it will connect ourselves with Brazil. To be able to do that in June, that’s a tremendous advantage for us.”
- FBI, US Department of Justice issues damning statement on FIFA, details corruption investigation 3
- FIFA fallout continues: Swiss authorities open criminal proceedings into allocation of 2018, 2022 World Cups 0
- Nine FIFA officials, including CONCACAF president, arrested in Switzerland during dawn raids 3
- Report: Multiple FIFA officials arrested in Zurich, will be extradited to United States 3
- Mourinho rips Top 4 rivals at awards dinner; Takes extra shot at Wenger’s Arsenal 1
- Premier League Grades: How did each team fare in 2014-15? 7