Jan 4, 2014, 10:50 AM EST
Big Sam’s getting some big guys.
With the news that Andy Carroll may finally be fit for West Ham United comes the loaning of giant Ivorian striker Lacina Traore to Upton Park.
The 6-foot-8 Traore has been transferred to AS Monaco from Anzhi Makhachkala in Russia and word is he’ll immediately begin a loan spell with the Irons.
At 23-years-old, Traore has four goals in seven full appearances for the Ivory Coast in addition to a boatload of goals for CFR Cluj, Kuban Krasnodar and Anzhi Makhachkala. He’s posted 18 goals in consecutive seasons.
The signing comes for an undisclosed fee and is reportedly a 4 1/2 year deal.
The loan itself could be a huge coup for West Ham in their relegation fight, not to mention Carroll’s return. They are in 19th place with 15 points and have scored just 19 goals.
- Atlantic crushed: D.C. United, New York open the season with three-goal losses 1
- Stoppage time goal gives Seattle 1-0 opening day win over Sporting Kansas City (video) 10
- Premier League Roundup: Chelsea clear at the top, Manchester United click, Cardiff bag huge win 0
- Chelsea 4-0 Tottenham Hotspur: Blues blitz Spurs to extend their lead at the top (video) 0
- Cardiff City 3-1 Fulham: Bluebirds win the relegation dogfight 0
- David Moyes on Manchester United’s win vs. West Brom: “That’s more like it” 0
- Argentine Melodies Illuminate Rainy Night in Portland
- LA Galaxy Gift Real Salt Lake Three Points in Season Opener
- Berhalter Gets First Win as Columbus Downs D.C. United 3-0
- Colorado Rapids - 3 Hopes and One Fear
- NYRB Don't Know What Hits Them in Emphatic 4-1 Whitecaps Win
- John Terry Rules out International Return
- Aberdeen March on in Scottish FA Cup
- 2014 MLS Season: Rebuilding The San Jose Earthquakes
- Players to Watch: Montreal Impact
- Ireland's Premier Division Season Kicks off