Jan 4, 2014, 1:44 PM EDT
Robert Lewandowski’s status as a nemesis of Bayern Munich is all but over, as the 25-year-old Borussia Dortmund star has agreed to join Pep Guardiola’s “Star of the South” in July.
Lewandowski has just six months remaining on his contract with Dortmund, which allowed him to sort out a pre-contract with Bayern Munich. After passing his medical, Lewandowski signed a five-year deal that will keep him at Bayern Munich through 2019 once he joins the club on July 1.
“We’re very pleased about completing this transfer,” commented FC Bayern Munich AG chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge. “Robert Lewandowski is one of the best strikers in the world. He will strengthen the Bayern squad and give us another boost.”
The Polish striker has scored 11 goals in 17 matches this season and has totaled 65 goals in 112 appearances since joining Dortmund from Lech Poznan in 2010.
Dortmund is 12 points back of Bayern Munich in the Bundesliga table, and both clubs are still alive in the 2013/14 UEFA Champions League. Dortmund faces Zenit St. Petersburg in the next round while Bayern battles Arsenal.
News of his signing will not be met with glee in London and Manchester, as Chelsea and Manchester United were two clubs hopeful of securing his signature.
German newspaper Bild says the contract will pay Lewandowski €11 million a year.
- WATCH: Saturday’s top 5 goals in Major League Soccer 0
- MLS roundup: Houston, Vancouver sit on top of their conferences after day one 0
- Rare bad night from Robbie Keane costs LA Galaxy against Real Salt Lake 0
- Atlantic crushed: D.C. United, New York open the season with three-goal losses 2
- Stoppage time goal gives Seattle 1-0 opening day win over Sporting Kansas City (video) 10
- Premier League Roundup: Chelsea clear at the top, Manchester United click, Cardiff bag huge win 0
- Liverpool is Ready to Spend $100 Million in Summer Transfers
- Dallas Manage 3-2 Win in Season Opener Against Impact
- Dynamo Shut Out the Revs as Bruin Scores a Pair
- Argentine Melodies Illuminate Rainy Night in Portland
- LA Galaxy Gift Real Salt Lake Three Points in Season Opener
- Berhalter Gets First Win as Columbus Downs D.C. United 3-0
- Colorado Rapids - 3 Hopes and One Fear
- NYRB Don't Know What Hits Them in Emphatic 4-1 Whitecaps Win
- John Terry Rules out International Return
- Aberdeen March on in Scottish FA Cup