Jan 4, 2014, 8:44 AM EST
The Paul Robinson comeback continued on Saturday, as the Blackburn goalkeeper and longtime England veteran returned to the pitch to face Manchester City in their FA Cup tie.
Robinson spent nine months away from the field after a back injury and subsequent operation left him with a life-threatening blood clot in the main artery to his long.
But he kept a clean sheet in a closed door game against Carlisle last month and is between the sticks at Ewood Park this morning to face star-studded City, starting names like Negredo, Silva, Milner, Dzeko and Fernandinho.
Robinson, one of only seven goalkeepers to win Premier League player of the month honors, is closing in on 400 career appearances in a career that began in 1998 with Leeds United (95 appearances) before moving on to Tottenham (137) and Blackburn (161).
Meanwhile, Championship super striker Jordan Rhodes (pictured above) did not start versus City — EDIT: Rhodes came off the bench in the 77th minute — leading to the fear that Blackburn supporters have lost the 23-year-old striker in the transfer window.
Rhodes has been in great form, on pace for his third straight 20-plus goal season. The 11-times capped Scotland forward who hails from Oldham, England, scored 87 times in 149 matches for Huddersfield Town before earning a transfer to Blackburn.
He has 43 goals in 68 appearances since 2012 for the Rovers, and has been linked with Crystal Palace, Newcastle United, Cardiff and West Ham United amongst other PL suitors.
- Player Ratings: Some good, some not so good in Chile’s 3-2 win over the U.S. 8
- Chile 3-2 USMNT: Another lead disintegrates for Klinsmann’s crew 1
- Sheffield United 2-2 Tottenham: Eriksen sees Spurs to All-London final in absolute thriller 2
- Africa Cup of Nations roundup: Lots will be drawn to determine second place in Group D 0
- Queens Park Rangers’ Canadian winger Junior Hoilett on Toronto FC, relegation battles and more 0
- English FA charge Chelsea’s Diego Costa with violent conduct after stamp, may miss Man City match 3