Jan 5, 2014, 1:10 PM EDT
The world of soccer lost one of its legends today as Portuguese superstar Eusebio succumbed to heart failure.
Many of the biggest figures in the sport reached out to the community to express their feelings of loss and also their appreciation for all he brought to soccer fans and players.
Here is a snippet of the reactions from around the world to the passing of The Black Panther:
The Portuguese Football Federation announced this morning that all upcoming matches will observe a moment of silence prior to kickoff in his memory. They issued a statement saying, “Portugal is mourning. Eusébio, the King of Portugal’s 1966 team and the eternal symbol of the country, national team and Benfica passed away.”
Former president of Mozambique (Eusebio’s birthplace) and childhood friend of his Joaquim Chissiano said, “It was with much regret that I received this news. I lost a friend. When we were young we played together, played football together. I was almost one of the family. Portuguese football lost one of its landmarks, linking football to Mozambique and Portugal. Eusebio was a pride for the people of Mozambique. Through sport, Eusebio was one of the ambassadors of Mozambique. His achievements will endure.”
- VIDEO: Can Manchester United beat Chelsea? PST Extra breaks it down 2
- MLS Atlanta urges David Beckham, Miami to share stadium with Dolphins 10
- Reality check: Outclassed by Real Madrid, what now for Liverpool? 0
- After winless October, USA drop out of top 20 in latest FIFA rankings 6
- PST’s MLS Rookie of the Year: Shipp, Hagglund, Akindele or Birnbaum? 0
- It’s official: World No. 3 Colombia to face USMNT in London on Nov. 14 0