Jan 6, 2014, 1:15 PM EDT
He’s the club’s all-time leading scorer and later this week will become the team’s newest addition when he puts pen to paper on a new contract.
Dwayne De Rosario, acquired in last month’s Stage Two Re-Entry Draft, left Toronto for spells in New York and DC but is returning to his hometown. He made his name in San Jose and Houston before coming home to Toronto FC, where he scored 32 times in 75 matches for the Reds.
Toronto FC did not make any playoff appearances during DeRo’s last run in Ontario, but did win two Canadian championships (of four consecutive). He was the club’s second captain upon the retirement of Jim Brennan and he leads the all-time club goal scoring list by 11 over Chad Barrett.
He won the Golden Boot after finishing 2011 with DC United, and is also the all-time leading goal scorer for Canada’s national team. He’s now scored 20-plus goals as a member of four MLS clubs and is the league’s sixth all-time leading scorer.
- LOGO: Atlanta United unveils logo, makes name official at Tuesday event 0
- FOLLOW LIVE: USMNT begins Gold Cup defense versus Honduras (Lineups) 0
- WATCH: President Obama calls & congratulates USWNT, invites team to White House 0
- 2015 Gold Cup predictions: Can the USMNT win back-to-back titles? Here’s our picks… 1
- Where does Andrea Pirlo joining New York City FC rank in history of MLS mega-deals? 3
- 2015 Gold Cup: USMNT player profiles – Midfielders 0