MLS news roundup: Crazy Galaxy scheduling, New Frenchman in San Jose, Jason Kreis media meet-up and more
Jan 6, 2014, 10:20 PM EDT
Now that we have the solid dates confirmed for CONCACAF Champions League matches, let the Monday Morning schedule quarterbacking begin. Because the Galaxy is going from 0-to-60 in an awful hurry!
Seriously, someone will need to explain how it’s good for anyone that the Galaxy will play five meaningful matches in 15 days? That’s a brutal haul at any point of the season. But to begin the season? Is someone already asleep at the wheel on league scheduling?
New York City FC (and the guiding voices from Manchester City) have put new manager Jason Kreis on ice for a spell where media opportunities are concerned. But they are about to pull back the curtain a bit, now sending invites around for a little media meet-up with the expansion MLS club’s new manager. It’s set for Friday morning in New York.
This report says the San Jose Earthquakes hope to have filled the midfield hole left by Rafael Baca’s departure with the signing of Frenchman Jean-Baptiste Pierazzi. The same report says the club is on the lookout for a couple of other major replacements, too, for right back Steven Beitashour and speedy midfielder Marvin Chavez. Those would qualify as major losses.
We already talked about the odd situation going on in Vancouver, where a Mexican club has created something of a pickle … for themselves, for the league’s Golden Boot winner and for Vancouver. Seriously, guys, what about a “contract” don’t you understand?
Seattle midfielder Lamar Neagle has signed a contract extension. No, he’s not going to replace Eddie Johnson’s goals around CenturyLink Field, but Neagle represents the kind of solid depth-creator that every good club needs. Seattle’s prudent offseason moves continue to portend good things for 2014.
- Late Grabavoy goal prolongs Portland’s agony against Real Salt Lake (video) 0
- Late Blas Pérez goal gives FC Dallas 2-1 win over Toronto FC (video) 1
- D.C. United takes a point out of Columbus, but referee has some explaining to do (video) 1
- Late strike from Manneh allows Vancouver to salvage a point against LA Galaxy (video) 1
- WATCH: All the goals, highlights from Saturday in the Premier League 0
- Premier League Roundup: Chelsea blow it, Swansea, Spurs and Palace win 0