MLS news roundup: Crazy Galaxy scheduling, New Frenchman in San Jose, Jason Kreis media meet-up and more
Jan 6, 2014, 10:20 PM EDT
Now that we have the solid dates confirmed for CONCACAF Champions League matches, let the Monday Morning schedule quarterbacking begin. Because the Galaxy is going from 0-to-60 in an awful hurry!
Seriously, someone will need to explain how it’s good for anyone that the Galaxy will play five meaningful matches in 15 days? That’s a brutal haul at any point of the season. But to begin the season? Is someone already asleep at the wheel on league scheduling?
New York City FC (and the guiding voices from Manchester City) have put new manager Jason Kreis on ice for a spell where media opportunities are concerned. But they are about to pull back the curtain a bit, now sending invites around for a little media meet-up with the expansion MLS club’s new manager. It’s set for Friday morning in New York.
This report says the San Jose Earthquakes hope to have filled the midfield hole left by Rafael Baca’s departure with the signing of Frenchman Jean-Baptiste Pierazzi. The same report says the club is on the lookout for a couple of other major replacements, too, for right back Steven Beitashour and speedy midfielder Marvin Chavez. Those would qualify as major losses.
We already talked about the odd situation going on in Vancouver, where a Mexican club has created something of a pickle … for themselves, for the league’s Golden Boot winner and for Vancouver. Seriously, guys, what about a “contract” don’t you understand?
Seattle midfielder Lamar Neagle has signed a contract extension. No, he’s not going to replace Eddie Johnson’s goals around CenturyLink Field, but Neagle represents the kind of solid depth-creator that every good club needs. Seattle’s prudent offseason moves continue to portend good things for 2014.
- PST’s Major League Soccer Player of the Week: LA Galaxy’s Landon Donovan 0
- What tomorrow’s goalkeeper platoon tells us about the U.S. goalkeeper void 3
- Jozy Altidore to captain U.S. Wednesday against Czech Republic 0
- With Radamel Falcao, can Manchester United challenge for the Premier League? 10
- Why Danny Welbeck’s move to Arsenal was the best Deadline Day deal 7
- EXCLUSIVE: Fresh off his club debut, young Emerson Hyndman takes his USMNT chance in stride 0