Jan 6, 2014, 11:35 AM EDT
Oguchi Onyewu’s worn a lot of crests over the past decade, and could make it an even 10 when his contract at Queens Park Rangers runs out later this month.
Though QPR manager Harry Redknapp has said he’d like to keep the “fit” Onyewu in London past the expiration of his deal, the two sides have been unable to come to an agreement on a new deal. Onyewu has yet to see the field for QPR, making the match day 18 just six times.
Onyewu has yet to repeat the success that saw him star for Belgium’s Standard Liege 139 times from 2004-09 or feature 68 times for the United States, but has certainly globe-trotted. He’s played in France (Metz), Italy (AC Milan), England (Newcastle/QPR), Portugal (Sporting CP), Spain (Malaga) and the Netherlands (Twente), also appearing in Belgium with La Louviere.
Could it be time for the giant 31-year-old defender to bring his game back the United States? Injury problems aside, it would be quite the storyline to follow Onyewu on a domestic comeback trail. While Redknapp’s known to run his mouth, he has claimed that Jurgen Klinsmann wants Onyewu in his World Cup squad.
Would DC United be the spot? Onyewu has hinted his hometown preference in the past and the Black-and-Red need all the help they can get as they look to reclaim past glories, perhaps building with a surprising run in the CONCACAF Champions League?
- Seattle 2-0 L.A. Galaxy: Pappa the hero again, Sounders win 1st Shield 0
- Premier League roundup: Arsenal, Saints win, Manchester City stunned (video) 0
- Real Madrid 3-1 Barcelona: Real win El Clasico, Suarez returns 3
- Sunderland 0-2 Arsenal: Sanchez seals win after horrendous defending 0
- VIDEO: Russell Brand crashes Sam Allardyce’s presser with a huge kiss 2
- West Ham United 2-1 Manchester City: Hammers stun reigning champs 1