Jan 6, 2014, 3:37 PM EST
A bizarre situation is unfolding in Vancouver, where Major League Soccer’s leading scorer may or may not be bound for a smaller club in Mexico, Querétaro, depending on which report you believe. Or, in this case, which organization has it right.
Whispers began last week that Camilo, the Vancouver Whitecaps goal scorer who came on so forcefully along the back half of 2013, eventually capturing the league’s Golden Boot with a final day hat trick, was bound for the Mexican club in the January window.
“Nothing to see here, folks,” was the response from BC Place. Club president Bob Lenarduzzi dismissed the rumors and ensured everyone that Camilo would be in training camp later this month.
So it caught everyone off guard today when pictures emerged of Camilo in a Querétaro kit. (The photo above is from the club’s official website.) How could that be?
Especially since the Whitecaps reminded everyone via Twitter that the skillful midfielder-forward was, after all, still under contract with the MLS club.
Potential outcome here: Camilo’s agent or one of his representatives has seriously miscalculated the letter of FIFA law here, attempting to enforce leverage where it doesn’t really exist. In that case, Camilo and/or the Mexican club could be in trouble.
There is also the possibility of hurt feelings and damaged relationships here, which is hardly what new manager Carl Robinson wants to be dealing with as he preps for his first training camp as a professional coach.
- Atlantic crushed: D.C. United, New York open the season with three-goal losses 1
- Stoppage time goal gives Seattle 1-0 opening day win over Sporting Kansas City (video) 10
- Premier League Roundup: Chelsea clear at the top, Manchester United click, Cardiff bag huge win 0
- Chelsea 4-0 Tottenham Hotspur: Blues blitz Spurs to extend their lead at the top (video) 0
- Cardiff City 3-1 Fulham: Bluebirds win the relegation dogfight 0
- David Moyes on Manchester United’s win vs. West Brom: “That’s more like it” 0
- LA Galaxy Gift Real Salt Lake Three Points in Season Opener
- Berhalter Gets First Win as Columbus Downs D.C. United 3-0
- Colorado Rapids - 3 Hopes and One Fear
- NYRB Don't Know What Hits Them in Emphatic 4-1 Whitecaps Win
- John Terry Rules out International Return
- Aberdeen March on in Scottish FA Cup
- 2014 MLS Season: Rebuilding The San Jose Earthquakes
- Players to Watch: Montreal Impact
- Ireland's Premier Division Season Kicks off
- Away-Goal Rule is the Novelty for this Year's MLS Playoffs