Jan 6, 2014, 9:50 AM EDT
Despite sealing his switch to Borussia Dortmund’s bitter rivals Bayern Munich over the weekend, which will see him join Munich in July, BVB’s star striker Robert Lewandowski has promised Dortmund’s fans he’ll continue to give his all for the rest of this season.
Lewandowski, 25, signed a pre-contract agreement with Bayern after a long-rumored move was finally sealed as his contract with Dortmund expires this summer.
BVB’s Polish international forward has penned an brief message to their fanatical supporters, urging them he will give his all.
Dear BVB fans, I would like to say a few words to you.
With half a year to go, there are still some goals we want to achieve together. I hope you will support me, even if some of you don’t agree with my decision! I for one will give my all for BVB!
Yours, Robert Lewandowski
The situation is a strange one, as Dortmund could have easily got $15-20 million if they’d sold Lewandowski to Munich over the last summer transfer window. But instead Dortmund dug their heels in and refused to sell yet another one of their star players to reigning European champions Munich. That’s cost them a huge transfer fee for Lewandowski’s services but the club feel as though they’ve keep their integrity intact.
If their integrity is intact, their forward options are in ruins as Lewandowski has been Borussia’s top scorer in each of their last two seasons and this year he has 16 goals in 27 games. That’s a big void to fill, as Bayern strengthen their squad by plucking yet another of Dortmund’s shining lights.
Mario Gotze joined Munich from Dortmund before the two sides met in the UEFA Champions League final last May, that move infuriated Dortmund’s fans and Gotze has received harsh treatment from them since he switched the Westfalenstadion for the Allianz Arena.
It’s likely that Lewnadowski’s short letter is designed to get him in the good books of BVB’s fans. Let’s see if that happens…
- EURO 2016 qualifying roundup: Netherlands, Italy rescue draws; Bale, Wales go top 0
- Klinsmann’s USMNT struggles, experimentation in friendlies: Does it really matter? 2
- Klinsmann explains philosophy behind mad scientist lineups, formations for USMNT 6
- Russia wants full points from match abandoned after Akinfeev struck in head by flare (video) 0
- MLS preview: FC Dallas vs. Sounders, Whitecaps vs. Timbers headline Week 4 0
- Report: Liverpool’s Daniel Sturridge to miss a month with hip injury 7