Jan 6, 2014, 5:31 PM EDT
The news out today: the U.S. women’s team will meet Russia on Feb. 8 in Boca Raton, Fla., the team’s second match scheduled for 2014.
That contest will be at FAU Stadium, a venue where the United States punctuated a highly successful 2012 run with a showy 4-1 victory over China. The February contest in Boca Raton happens eight days after Tom Sermanni’s team’s opens its 2014 schedule at FC Dallas’ Toyota Stadium with a match against Canada.
The context is that the national team schedules are slowly unfolding now. We should know more soon about both of the senior U.S. teams and their schedules for 2014.
There are still a couple of women’s friendlies against France out there, as yet unconfirmed but reportedly set for June.
On the men’s side, there will certainly be a friendly arranged for the FIFA window in the first week of March; no way will Jurgen Klinsmann let that opportunity come and go without gathering his team, probably in Europe for fewer logistical entanglements to the European-based types.
And soon enough we should know more about the two or three matches in and around the May camp. Various reports have Klinsmann’s team meeting Canada north of the border and England in Florida.
- Report: Xabi Alonso heading to Manchester United 5
- Mario Balotelli edging closer to shock $26 million Liverpool switch 16
- Thursday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: Tiote to Arsenal, Destro to Chelsea 0
- Angel Di Maria gets love from Ronaldo, Sergio Ramos and Diego Simeone 2
- Jozy Altidore is the happiest he’s ever been, says Gus Poyet 3
- Malky Mackay and Iain Moody investigated by FA for ‘sexist, racist and homophobic’ text messages while at Cardiff City 8