Jan 7, 2014, 12:48 PM EST
Barcelona team doctors have cleared Lionel Messi to return from injury for Wednesday’s Copa del Rey match against Getafe.
Messi has spent the last two months sidelined with a hamstring tear suffered on November 10th in the 4-1 win over Real Betis.
Last year’s Balon d’Or winner has endured an injury-plagued season but returned to training at Barcelona last week after an extended rehabilitation stint in his native Argentina.
While he remains available to feature, Messi’s status as a starter or substitute has yet to be determined as manager Gerardo Martino noted Tuesday the playmaker ‘”feels fine” but failed to discuss his plan.
“Messi rehabbed well and has trained like the rest of the team,” Martino said. “Maybe he lacks some playing time, but with Leo I don’t think that will be a problem. Messi gives us all a boost of confidence. With him at our side, we all feel more secure.”
Following Messi’s injury last November, Barcelona defeated Granada before losing 1-2 to Ajax in the Champions League and 0-1 to Athletic Bilbao in La Liga. Since then, the Blaugrana have ripped off six straight victories in all competitions.
That form has ensured Barcelona top spot in La Liga (tied on points with Atletico Madrid but with a five goal advantage) and a Round of 16 place in both the Champions League and Copa del Rey.
Wednesday’s home match against Getafe is the first of the two-legged affair, with the return leg set for the Coliseum Alfonso Perez on January 16th.
- MLS Preview: Seattle Sounders vs. Sporting Kansas City 0
- WATCH: Stoke City fans erupt into “Delilah” chant during win over Arsenal 0
- Premier League Preview: Chelsea vs. Tottenham 1
- WATCH: PST Extra – Relegation in focus ahead of six-pointer in Cardiff 0
- Major League Soccer Preview: An alternate view of the 2014 regular season 3
- Premier League Power Rankings: Top four shuffle, as pivotal stretch arrives – Week 28 0
- Everton is Focused on Beating Arsenal
- Moyes and Martinez Back Cleverley
- Luis Suarez Continues to Say the Right Things
- RSL 2014 Season Preview
- Portland Timbers Season Preview
- Toronto FC Season Preview
- Duvall, Oyongo & Stevenson Sign Contracts with NY Red Bulls
- Moyes Writes Open Letter to Man United Fans
- San Jose Earthquakes: Players To Watch In 2014 Season
- A Good Start Would Go A Long Way for the Chicago Fire