Defoe to Toronto FC official… and maybe Michael Bradley, too? (or “How Taylor Twellman broke Twitter”)
Jan 8, 2014, 2:34 PM EDT
So here’s a way to put an exclamation on a work shift here at PST.
According to The Toronto Sun, Toronto FC will unveil Jermain Defoe as its latest signing come Monday morning. It’s a move long-reported and even longer in rumor, but Mike Prindiville’s post that it was nearing completion is reportedly on point. TFC put this winking video teaser of a Monday announcement on the web:
But could it be, perhaps, the more minor move in the American soccer conscious, thanks to the Twitter account of one Taylor Twellman.
— Taylor Twellman (@TaylorTwellman) January 8, 2014
The analyst and former MLS star has lit the American soccer world abuzz with today’s Tweet linking Michael Bradley to Toronto FC. We’ve already written today that a move away from AS Roma may be coming into focus with i Lupi adding Cagliari midfielder Radja Nainggolan but this latest twist would take him far from White Hart Lane or Craven Cottage.
If you can have a surplus of crazy talented midfielders, they have it.
MLSE president Tim Leiweke is looking to make a splash in the American soccer conscious, and Bradley could empty the whole pool just after Defoe tucked into his cannonball.
Gilberto, Defoe, De Rosario and Bradley in one offseason? Come on. I’m not here to doubt or confirm, as Twellman just provided a wild new note for my “Defoe is official” post, but could a club have possibly done a bigger facelift if Bradley makes that trio a quartet?
UPDATE (3pm ET):
— Luke Wileman (@LukeWileman) January 8, 2014
UPDATE (5pm ET): Our own Joe Prince-Wright reached out to Bradley’s representatives, who had declined to comment.
- Southampton’s new Canadian Chairman chats growth in North America, NHL roots, Saints’ future 0
- American soccer mourns the death of former MLS player Shawn Kuykendall, 32 0
- Manchester United’s Wayne Rooney muses on captaincies, laments Liverpool’s strong season 1
- Robben and Wenger have war of words in latest Champions League diving debate 2
- Arsenal’s Ozil out for “at least a few weeks” after injury in Champions League 0
- Preview: Barcelona, Manchester City stumble into Champions League second leg; PSG set to rest Ibrahimovic 0
- Shawn Kuykendall, Former D.C. United Player, Dies at 32
- UEFA Investigate Bayern Munich's Kosovo Related Banner
- Arsenal's $64m Midfielder Strikes Out Again
- CR7 is a Superstar Both on and Off the Pitch
- Pareja Could Have Decision Looming at D-Mid
- Quakes Hit 94th Minute Goal to Tie Toluca in CONCACAF CL
- For the Red Bulls, Mistakes are Better Early Than Late
- If Man City Ever Stood a Chance, it’s Right Now
- Strootman Loss Detrimental to Roma
- Rooney Reveals Desire to Captain United and England