Defoe to Toronto FC official… and maybe Michael Bradley, too? (or “How Taylor Twellman broke Twitter”)

Jan 8, 2014, 2:34 PM EDT

So here’s a way to put an exclamation on a work shift here at PST.

According to The Toronto Sun, Toronto FC will unveil Jermain Defoe as its latest signing come Monday morning. It’s a move long-reported and even longer in rumor, but Mike Prindiville’s post that it was nearing completion is reportedly on point. TFC put this winking video teaser of a Monday announcement on the web:

But could it be, perhaps, the more minor move in the American soccer conscious, thanks to the Twitter account of one Taylor Twellman.

The analyst and former MLS star has lit the American soccer world abuzz with today’s Tweet linking Michael Bradley to Toronto FC. We’ve already written today that a move away from AS Roma may be coming into focus with i Lupi adding Cagliari midfielder Radja Nainggolan but this latest twist would take him far from White Hart Lane or Craven Cottage.

If you can have a surplus of crazy talented midfielders, they have it.

MLSE president Tim Leiweke is looking to make a splash in the American soccer conscious, and Bradley could empty the whole pool just after Defoe tucked into his cannonball.

Gilberto, Defoe, De Rosario and Bradley in one offseason? Come on. I’m not here to doubt or confirm, as Twellman just provided a wild new note for my “Defoe is official” post, but could a club have possibly done a bigger facelift if Bradley makes that trio a quartet?

UPDATE (3pm ET):

UPDATE (5pm ET): Our own Joe Prince-Wright reached out to Bradley’s representatives, who had declined to comment.

1. jslip1 - Jan 8, 2014 at 2:38 PM

Bradley has nothing to gain from this move. Too fantastic to be true. I’ll even cite the World Cup year argument.

2. danielofthedale - Jan 8, 2014 at 2:48 PM

Mikey still has room to grow and improve in Europe, he has yet to hit his peak. A move to MLS just does not make any sense at this point in time. And to all team TFC, who is only slightly better run than Chivas? I just don’t get.

3. krazymunky - Jan 8, 2014 at 2:48 PM

Bradley to Toronto?

L
    O
    L

4. overtherepermanently - Jan 8, 2014 at 4:38 PM

Greg Seltzer is calling this legit…

5. mkbryant3 - Jan 8, 2014 at 4:41 PM

I just don’t see this Bradley move unless someone tweets a pic of him at YYZ. Dempsey to Seattle was a pipe dream until SFO.

Then again, he could be on a train to Bangkok for all we know. (Sorry)

6. mlsconvert88888 - Jan 8, 2014 at 4:47 PM

I ate some serious crow after doubting the Dempsey-to-Seattle rumors, so I’ll keep my skepticism to a minimum on this.
    But if this is true, I would be little bummed that Bradley isn’t going to an american team where his USMNT status would be truly celebrated. And it doesn’t help that the team that could be taking him could be metaphorically characterized by setting a dumpster on fire.

7. geojock - Jan 8, 2014 at 5:37 PM

So by what MLS mechanism is TFC going to get him?

8. pecorasc - Jan 8, 2014 at 5:51 PM

Espn reporting done deal.

9. hildezero - Jan 8, 2014 at 5:51 PM

I hope the Jermaine Defoe rumors are true, but not the Michael Bradley rumors. Defoe coming to MLS would be bigger than Bradley, because Defoe is a better player.

• danielofthedale - Jan 8, 2014 at 7:03 PM

Always good for a laugh

10. mdac1012 - Jan 8, 2014 at 6:00 PM

Gab Marcotti saying on ESPN Bradley asked for a move do to playing time. He didn’t say he asked specifically to move to MLS, it looks like MLS may have been willing to pay the most for him.

11. bellerophon30 - Jan 8, 2014 at 6:44 PM

This has got 1998 written all over it: Our best players returning from Europe to play in MLS, killing our World Cup chances. Jurgen must be ready to commit suicide right about now. I know that Clint (foolishly) didn’t give him a heads up before his move to Seattle, I wonder if Michael learned that lesson.

If Michael thinks that this is the best move for him personally and professionally, then so be it, I’ll wish him well. I just hope that it isn’t true.

• bear06 - Jan 8, 2014 at 10:32 PM

I hate the move but this does not have 1998 written all over it. Jurgen must be pretty pissed off right now but I highly doubt he’s going to commit suicide because of it (I know you’re being sarcastic).

• bellerophon30 - Jan 9, 2014 at 4:43 PM

This has 1998 parallels because Serie A, while not what it was 15 years ago, is still far superior to MLS is pretty much every way. So Michael is coming down in competition, the way that Lalas, Harkes, and Wynalda (among others) did back then. It cost us then, and MB and Dempsey coming back certainly isn’t going to help us.

But these moves have helped those players, no doubt. If Michael is getting triple the money (after taxes) in Toronto than he got in Roma, I can’t blame him one bit for moving. I will never criticize a player for chasing the cash.

And of course I was kidding about Jurgen, which you correctly caught…..but he is not happy right now. He wasn’t happy about Dempsey, he probably remains puzzled over Landon’s refusal to take his shot in England, and this move probably had him throwing his hands in the air.

But it’s Michael’s life, he’s a great player and person, I support him.

12. merseysideoc - Jan 8, 2014 at 8:41 PM

And we thought Dempsey’s move back to MLS was a fool’s mission…Bradley’s seemingly imminent cross-Atlantic journey absolutely qualifies as a damned fool’s mission. Both players still have/had MUCH to gain from remaining on European soil especially with Brazil just around the corner. While the MLS fanboys will be gloating over this one & screaming how good it is for their coveted domestic league, those of us in reality will certainly be ruing this move with Bradley when he comes to his senses about what he has done. At the very least, go to Stabaek where Dad’s the gaffer to enjoy the Lutefisk & fjord life.

• wrdtoyrmama - Jan 8, 2014 at 9:54 PM

How is it a fool’s mission when he’s scheduled to make 6.5 m with Toronto versus the 1 m, he’s making with Roma? Bradley’s spot on the USMNT is secure, he’s in his mid-20′s, and surely can move on elsewhere in a few years. But again, make 6.5 million this year versus 1 million.
      Think about it.