Jan 8, 2014, 8:44 AM EDT
Every ounce of familiarity could be an advantage for the United States in a Western hemisphere World Cup like this summer’s event in Brazil, and USMNT manager Jurgen Klinsmann is excited about January’s camp at their summer home in Sao Paolo.
Klinsmann had already hailed the country’s January camp, as you read and watched thanks to Joe Prince-Wright, but he’s expounded upon the benefits and plans today at the MLS site.
“We’ll try things out there,” Klinsmann said. “We want to get to know the people. We want to build relationships, if it’s at the hotel, at the training ground. We want to get a feel for how things work there – for the Brazilian lifestyle, in a certain way – and this is a good opportunity.
“So we connected it because no other [World Cup] team really has that January camp happening. It’s because of the schedule that MLS has gives us that opportunity.”
The United States team and manager expressed optimism at getting used to everything from the hotel to the weather to the food in Brazil, and doing so ahead of many of their World Cup competitors.
Sporting KC midfielder and camp participant Graham Zusi laid out the benefits of the experience nicely:
“I think the trip down to Brazil makes it all real, very real, and I think that that has gained the focus of every single player, 100 percent. It’s going to feel real good going down there this first time and kind of knowing what you’ll be up against in the summer.
“If there are any snags or unexpected things, we’ll be able to experience them this first time and really take them out of the question the next time we’re down there.”
- UEFA Champions League preview: Can PSG, Bayern come back from 3-1 down to Barcelona, Porto? 0
- MLS Team of the Week — Stars of Week 7 0
- Premier League Power Rankings: Big climbers galore as momentum kicks in 1
- Premier League Playback: Manchester United prove they can challenge Chelsea for the title 2
- Sepp Blatter: Putin, Russia will host “best ever World Cup” in 2018 3
- Real Madrid’s Gareth Bale set to miss three weeks, Champions League clash vs. Atletico, with injury 1