Jan 8, 2014, 1:17 PM EDT
In the annals of transfer treats, it won’t quite measure up with a player’s weight in seafood or a set of weights, but the North American Soccer League’s publicity people have a story on its hands regarding the transfer of Walter Restrepo from Florida to Texas.
Restrepo, a 25-year-old midfielder, came of age for the Fort Lauderdale Strikers in 2013. He scored seven goals and registered nine assists in 22 appearances across all competitions, which made him rather attractive to some other teams.
So when the San Antonio Scorpions came calling for the rights to the midfielder, Fort Lauderdale was happy to accept the following for its player:
MLSSoccer.com provides the following quote from the Scorpions site, verifying the exchange:
“The Scorpions would also like to thank Bill Brendel of the Crockett Hotel and Mark Thronson of Shark Limo, two long-term, great partners, for their incredible assistance. It was only through their assistance that we were able to get this deal done.”
As soccer supporters, we should be able to expect two things to come from this affair. One, that Restrepo will be good and steamed up to face his former mates. The other?
That the supporters of San Antonio provide some genius stadiums songs for both Restrepo and the visit of Fort Lauderdale.
- Emotional Lampard just as shocked after pegging back ex-club Chelsea (VIDEO) 0
- Manchester City 1-1 Chelsea: Frank Lampard shocks former club with late equalizer 1
- Mario Balotelli mocks Manchester United on twitter 4
- Leicester City 5-3 Manchester United: Foxes complete comeback for the ages 7
- MLS Roundup: Sounders, D.C. United slip; LA gains ground in the West 0
- Premier League Sunday preview: Man City vs. Chelsea; Everton, Spurs, Man United in action 0