Jan 8, 2014, 4:01 PM EDT
Worries over Xabi Alonso’s future at Real Madrid had started to become as urgent as the Spanish international’s ongoing ear problems, with Alonso again complaining of pain in his left eardrum on Monday after 45 minutes against Celta Vigo. But whereas the midfielder seems to be making little progress with an injury suffered on Dec. 22, Alonso has turned a corner on his contract status at the Bernabéu, with club and player having agreed to an extension that will keep him in the Spanish capital.
According to Marca, the Merengues have agreed to a deal that will keep the 32-year-old in white for two additional seasons, extending a stay that began when Alonso was purchased from Liverpool four-and-a-half years ago. Since, the Basque star has made 204 all-competition appearances for Los Blancos, scoring six times while patrolling deep midfield for Primera División, Copa del Rey, and Spanish Supercopa champions (one title, each).
This season, Alonso’s been limited to 12 appearances and only eight in league, where he’s been restricted to 548 minutes. With midfield partner Sami Khedira out for the season recovering from a knee injury, Real Madrid have been forced to rely on Luka Modric and summer signing Aiser Illarremendi, with Modric set to serve as Alonso’s partner when the pair is healthy.
When Alonso will be fully fit is unclear, with Monday serving as a setback to his recovery. But with a new deal on the books, Madridistas don’t have to worry a key player missing time during his last months with the club. Those months won’t be here until 2015-16, at the earliest.
- Rare bad night from Robbie Keane costs LA Galaxy against Real Salt Lake 0
- Atlantic crushed: D.C. United, New York open the season with three-goal losses 2
- Stoppage time goal gives Seattle 1-0 opening day win over Sporting Kansas City (video) 10
- Premier League Roundup: Chelsea clear at the top, Manchester United click, Cardiff bag huge win 0
- Chelsea 4-0 Tottenham Hotspur: Blues blitz Spurs to extend their lead at the top (video) 0
- Cardiff City 3-1 Fulham: Bluebirds win the relegation dogfight 0
- Dallas Manage 3-2 Win in Season Opener Against Impact
- Dynamo Shut Out the Revs as Bruin Scores a Pair
- Argentine Melodies Illuminate Rainy Night in Portland
- LA Galaxy Gift Real Salt Lake Three Points in Season Opener
- Berhalter Gets First Win as Columbus Downs D.C. United 3-0
- Colorado Rapids - 3 Hopes and One Fear
- NYRB Don't Know What Hits Them in Emphatic 4-1 Whitecaps Win
- John Terry Rules out International Return
- Aberdeen March on in Scottish FA Cup
- 2014 MLS Season: Rebuilding The San Jose Earthquakes