Jan 9, 2014, 8:09 PM EDT
Chivas USA seems to have made progress in its newest managerial appointment – its fifth manager in the last 18 months, including one interim man.
This time around, the team has hired Colorado Rapids assistant Wilmer Cabrera, a man who also spent significant time with U.S. Soccer. He put in five years as the United States under-17 national team coach, guiding the team into the 2009 and 2011 FIFA U-17 World Cup.
On the less positive side, it took Chivas USA nearly two months to hire a top man. Cabrera has less than a week to prepare for Major League Soccer’s draft, coming up this Thursday in Philadelphia.
Still, it represents progress for a bumbling outfit that can never quite figure out what it wants to be, a feeder team for the Chivas mother ship or an actual, competitive element in MLS. Cabrera is the first head coach with MLS and / or extensive experience in domestic soccer since Robin Fraser.
Cabrera, 46, was formerly the right hand man for Oscar Pareja, who just resigned at Colorado, presumably in a move that will eventually finish with him as head man at FC Dallas.
“I’m really excited and motivated to be joining Chivas USA, as well as very grateful to the organization for the support they have given me,” Cabrera said via the MLS club’s web site: “It’s a big opportunity join an MLS professional club and an institution that wants to be one of the top teams in the league; a team that is not only eager to participate but that also wants to be competitive in MLS.”
- If you had Pepe Reina in your “European star rumored for MLS” pool today, you win! 0
- US women lose second straight for first time since 2001 after ugly 5-3 defeat to Denmark 2
- Premier League Playback: Fifth place finish for Man United? Superstar Shaw, Arsenal’s big chance 0
- Bayern Munich star Toni Kroos fails to rule out Manchester United move 6
- Manchester United set to bid $50 million for Southampton’s star duo 0
- In MLS, West is best… at least for a weekend 1
- TV Ratings for MLS Season Opener Increase 283% in 1 Year
- Liga MX Radar: Michael Arroyo Scores a Quad
- Sounders FC Monday Morning Breakdown
- Maidana Stars in Impressive Philly Newbie Trio
- Barnsley Send Brek Shea Back to Stoke after Fight with Fan
- Yanks in Mexico: Torres Scores in Tigres Win, Garza Gives Solid Display
- Julio Cesar Put his Semester in Toronto at Risk
- Getafe Fire Luis Garcia, Hire Cosmin Contra as New Manager
- Former Sounders Teammates Rosales and Hurtado Faced off in LA
- The Clock is Ticking for Tim Sherwood at Spurs