Jan 9, 2014, 9:24 AM EST
Manchester United and England defender Chris Smalling is this morning at the center of a scandal, after pictures of him dresses as a suicide bomber have surfaced and were put on the front page of the Sun Newspaper in the UK.
Smalling, 24, was pictured wearing a military type outfit with a Arabic headscarf and then had a protective vest strapped to him with wires, cables and a mobile phone strapped to his chest. He also had bottles of the alcoholic beverage Jagermeister and cans of Red Bull strapped to him, as the costume was meant to be Smalling depicting himself as a “Jaegerbomb” drink.
Needless to say the costume has not been received well, after Smallling was snapped in his getup whilst hosting a party with his girlfriend at their house.
Smalling has not commented yet but his management firm, Wasserman Media Group, had the following to say to the Associated Press.
“Chris and his girlfriend hosted a fancy dress party to celebrate Christmas and their belated birthdays with close friends in the assumed privacy of his own home. He dressed in a costume consisting of empty bottles of Jagermeister and cans of Red Bull strapped to his chest in an attempted comedy play on the popular ‘Jagerbomb’ drink.”
“Although he fully accepts in hindsight it was an ill-thought out and insensitive decision, absolutely no harm was intended whatsoever and he apologises for any offence caused.”
There are some poor decisions… and then there’s this.
What Smalling was thinking (even if it was only a party in his own home) by dressing up in this costume defies belief.
He must have known he would offend many with a costume of real poor taste. We all make mistakes, so let’s hope Smalling learns from this one and grows up a little.
Below is a picture of the costume in question, from the Sun’s Twitter feed.
- Atlantic crushed: D.C. United, New York open the season with three-goal losses 1
- Stoppage time goal gives Seattle 1-0 opening day win over Sporting Kansas City (video) 10
- Premier League Roundup: Chelsea clear at the top, Manchester United click, Cardiff bag huge win 0
- Chelsea 4-0 Tottenham Hotspur: Blues blitz Spurs to extend their lead at the top (video) 0
- Cardiff City 3-1 Fulham: Bluebirds win the relegation dogfight 0
- David Moyes on Manchester United’s win vs. West Brom: “That’s more like it” 0
- Berhalter Gets First Win as Columbus Downs D.C. United 3-0
- Colorado Rapids - 3 Hopes and One Fear
- NYRB Don't Know What Hits Them in Emphatic 4-1 Whitecaps Win
- John Terry Rules out International Return
- Aberdeen March on in Scottish FA Cup
- 2014 MLS Season: Rebuilding The San Jose Earthquakes
- Players to Watch: Montreal Impact
- Ireland's Premier Division Season Kicks off
- Away-Goal Rule is the Novelty for this Year's MLS Playoffs
- Barrett Nails Last Minute Goal for Seattle 1-0 Victory