Jan 9, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
Yeah, that’s right folks.
Despite losing every single game in 2014 so far, Manchester United manager David Moyes has been nominated for Premier League manager of the month… for December. Come on now, you know how these things work, right?
During last month Moyes’ United looked to be on a much needed upward spiral as they drew once and won four times in their five games in and around the festive period. But as we mentioned, that good form hasn’t continued as United have lost three games on the trot for the first time since 2001 to see in the New Year. Not ideal.
United are struggling for form and it seems as though the month of December brought false hope as Moyes’ side have since imploded with defeats to Tottenham, Swansea and Sunderland to start off 2014. But at least United’s manager might be rewarded for a sensational end to 2013, albeit it against weaker opposition that they were supposed to beat. Not taking the shine off their achievements, thems the facts. And talking about facts, unless Sir Alex Ferguson (23) and Arsene Wenger (13) have won more Manager of the Month awards than Moyes’ 10 at Everton.
But I do actually expect either Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho or Man City ‘gaffer’ Manuel Pellegrini to pick up this award, as the latter saw his team beat Liverpool over the festive period, Arsenal earlier in December and also rack up several eye-catching displays of attacking brilliance.
Whoever wins the award will be hoping the Manger of the Month curse doesn’t strike again, just ask Mauricio Pochettino and Southampton as he’s had nothing but bad luck since he was handed the award back in October. That said, I don’t think things can get much worse for Moyes and Manchester United right now.
They should take any kind of award or trophy they can get.
- PST Extra: Who are the Premier League’s top offseason acquisitions so far? (video) 0
- Premier League defenders: Who’s in our Top Five? And how to choose just five? 5
- Maps, rivals, stadiums: Location of all 20 Premier League teams for 2015-16 season 4
- On his way out of PSG, should Arsenal or Manchester United sign Zlatan Ibrahimovic? 1
- Tuesday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: Rose to Chelsea, Traore to Liverpool 1
- AZ Alkmaar agree to sell USMNT forward Aron Johannsson to Werder Bremen 3