Jan 9, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
Yeah, that’s right folks.
Despite losing every single game in 2014 so far, Manchester United manager David Moyes has been nominated for Premier League manager of the month… for December. Come on now, you know how these things work, right?
During last month Moyes’ United looked to be on a much needed upward spiral as they drew once and won four times in their five games in and around the festive period. But as we mentioned, that good form hasn’t continued as United have lost three games on the trot for the first time since 2001 to see in the New Year. Not ideal.
United are struggling for form and it seems as though the month of December brought false hope as Moyes’ side have since imploded with defeats to Tottenham, Swansea and Sunderland to start off 2014. But at least United’s manager might be rewarded for a sensational end to 2013, albeit it against weaker opposition that they were supposed to beat. Not taking the shine off their achievements, thems the facts. And talking about facts, unless Sir Alex Ferguson (23) and Arsene Wenger (13) have won more Manager of the Month awards than Moyes’ 10 at Everton.
But I do actually expect either Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho or Man City ‘gaffer’ Manuel Pellegrini to pick up this award, as the latter saw his team beat Liverpool over the festive period, Arsenal earlier in December and also rack up several eye-catching displays of attacking brilliance.
Whoever wins the award will be hoping the Manger of the Month curse doesn’t strike again, just ask Mauricio Pochettino and Southampton as he’s had nothing but bad luck since he was handed the award back in October. That said, I don’t think things can get much worse for Moyes and Manchester United right now.
They should take any kind of award or trophy they can get.
- WATCH: Saturday’s top 5 goals in Major League Soccer 0
- MLS roundup: Houston, Vancouver sit on top of their conferences after day one 0
- Rare bad night from Robbie Keane costs LA Galaxy against Real Salt Lake 0
- Atlantic crushed: D.C. United, New York open the season with three-goal losses 2
- Stoppage time goal gives Seattle 1-0 opening day win over Sporting Kansas City (video) 10
- Premier League Roundup: Chelsea clear at the top, Manchester United click, Cardiff bag huge win 0
- Dallas Manage 3-2 Win in Season Opener Against Impact
- Dynamo Shut Out the Revs as Bruin Scores a Pair
- Argentine Melodies Illuminate Rainy Night in Portland
- LA Galaxy Gift Real Salt Lake Three Points in Season Opener
- Berhalter Gets First Win as Columbus Downs D.C. United 3-0
- Colorado Rapids - 3 Hopes and One Fear
- NYRB Don't Know What Hits Them in Emphatic 4-1 Whitecaps Win
- John Terry Rules out International Return
- Aberdeen March on in Scottish FA Cup
- 2014 MLS Season: Rebuilding The San Jose Earthquakes