Jan 9, 2014, 10:46 AM EST
On Thursday afternoon U.S. international Michael Bradley is expected to suit up for AS Roma in the Quarterfinal of the Coppa Italia against Sampdoria at the Stadio Olimpico, which kicks off at 12pm ET.
At least that’s according to the squad list published on Roma’s official website earlier today.
However there have been other reports since that release that Bradley has since pulled out of the squad for the match vs. Sampdoria.
Bradley, 26, was at the center of a social media storm on Wednesday evening as the USMNT star is said to be heading back to North America in a lucrative deal with Toronto FC.
But hold your horses folks. Despite several sources confirming the deal is in place and that Bradley fancies a move back to MLS to play regularly and join Jermain Defoe at a new-look TFC franchise, there’s still a chance he stays at Roma. On Thursday evening the Serie A side hosts Sampdoria, and according to Roma’s website Bradley has been included in the 20-man match day squad for the cup tie in the Italian capital.
So, is this one final swansong for Bradley in a Roma shirt? Or will he brush off the speculation after the game, as he’s sure to be stopped by the press and asked about a potential switch back to MLS.
On Wednesday I spoke to Bradley’s agent Ron Waxman, the official line is ‘no comment’ from the Bradley camp. However many others are suggesting the only real stumbling block is the transfer fee between Toronto and Roma.
With Roma bringing in new central midfielder Radja Nainggolan from Cagliari on loan until the end of the season, with an option to buy the midfielder, Bradley’s days at Roma seem to be numbered. When they Serie A high-fliers kick off against Sampdoria on Thursday, we’ll have a much better idea of how quickly his move to Toronto may go through, as Bradley’s absence in the match day squad will speak volumes.
You can watch Roma vs. Sampdoria live in the USA on BeIN Sports, at noon ET.
- CONCACAF Champions League: D.C. United battered by Alajualense, 5-2 0
- Keller, Hejduk, Conrad headline 13 new eligibles for National Soccer HOF 0
- Europa League roundup: Tottenham, Liverpool out; Everton, La Liga sides advance 0
- Besiktas 1-0 (1-1) Liverpool: Arslan makes, Lovren misses final PK as Reds go out of Europe 7
- Fiorentina ousts Tottenham from the Europa League with 2-0 win at the Stadio Artemio Franchi 1
- Strike season? Real Salt Lake owner calls free agency “go nowhere conversation” 7