Jan 10, 2014, 8:55 AM EDT
Liverpool hitman Luis Suarez has a new trophy for the mantle, picking up the Barclays Premier League ‘Player of the Month’ award for December.
Suarez’ accolade was hardly a shock after scoring a record-breaking 10 goals over a four match stretch.
December began poorly for Suarez and Liverpool as the striker was stuffed goal-less in the 1-3 away loss to Hull City. That blank shot Suarez into high gear, however, as he tore into his favorite side to play against, Norwich City, for four sensational goals during the Reds 5-1 triumph on December 4th.
Three days later it was West Ham’s turn to receive a beating as the Uruguayan’s brace led Liverpool to a comfortable 4-1 victory at Anfield. With six in the bag Suarez then set his sites on Tottenham where he unleashed yet another dominant performance, scoring twice and assisting twice in the 5-0 smashing that sent Andre Villas-Boas packing.
On the 21st of the month Suarez gifted the Kop a fourth and final sterling performance, scoring twice and adding an assist against a helpless Cardiff City side.
To close out the month Suarez turned in two fine performances in the heart-breaking 2-1 losses to Manchester City and Chelsea, but failed to score in either bid. From a club standpoint, the losses were tough to take but from a personal one, Suarez’ 10 goals in a calendar month in the Premier League had never been done before.
With 20 goals in only 15 contests, Suarez noted his appreciation for the cap-tip: “It’s so important when you work hard on the pitch and they recognize it when you win these prizes. On the pitch I try to help Liverpool and I try to help the squad and I think also for the confidence it is very good. If Liverpool continue in this level we can finish in the top four, which we want.”
The Premier League’s top goalscorer beat out Manchester City’s Alvaro Negredo, Vincent Kompany and Yaya Toure, Everton’s Ross Barkley and Arsenal’s Theo Walcott for the honors. He and Liverpool travel to the Britannia to take on Stoke City on Sunday.
- Rare bad night from Robbie Keane costs LA Galaxy against Real Salt Lake 0
- Atlantic crushed: D.C. United, New York open the season with three-goal losses 2
- Stoppage time goal gives Seattle 1-0 opening day win over Sporting Kansas City (video) 10
- Premier League Roundup: Chelsea clear at the top, Manchester United click, Cardiff bag huge win 0
- Chelsea 4-0 Tottenham Hotspur: Blues blitz Spurs to extend their lead at the top (video) 0
- Cardiff City 3-1 Fulham: Bluebirds win the relegation dogfight 0
- Dallas Manage 3-2 Win in Season Opener Against Impact
- Dynamo Shut Out the Revs as Bruin Scores a Pair
- Argentine Melodies Illuminate Rainy Night in Portland
- LA Galaxy Gift Real Salt Lake Three Points in Season Opener
- Berhalter Gets First Win as Columbus Downs D.C. United 3-0
- Colorado Rapids - 3 Hopes and One Fear
- NYRB Don't Know What Hits Them in Emphatic 4-1 Whitecaps Win
- John Terry Rules out International Return
- Aberdeen March on in Scottish FA Cup
- 2014 MLS Season: Rebuilding The San Jose Earthquakes