Jan 10, 2014, 10:20 AM EDT
After a month on the sidelines with a thigh injury, Robin van Persie returned to training on Friday.
Van Persie is not expected to be fit for Saturday’s home match against Swansea but is expected to make his comeback soon and could be available for next Sunday’s away match at Chelsea.
Despite not being able to feature this weekend, news of Van Persie’s improved condition is a boost for Manchester United manager David Moyes, who has been without the Dutchman and his striker-partner Wayne Rooney for the last two games.
Van Persie hasn’t featured for United since the December 10th Champions League match against Shakhtar Donetsk. The Red Devils won that fixture 1-0 courtesy of a Phil Jones goal off a corner kick. Van Persie injured his thigh taking the corner and has since missed eight straight matches.
It’s been an injury-plagued season for the Dutch international, who prior to the thigh issue had a lingering groin issue that sidelined him for four weeks after scoring the decider against his former club Arsenal on November 5th.
United, who have lost three successive matches for the first time since 2001, have suffered seven losses in all competitions. They have yet to lose, however, when Van Persie and Rooney have started together.
- Paul Scholes says arrogance could hurt Manchester City 0
- MLS playoffs weekend preview: Which remaining team has the best form? 0
- Van Gaal: Manchester Derby is “biggest” he’ll manage; Rooney in, Falcao out 1
- WATCH: Premier League TV schedule – Week 10 4
- Diego Costa will be available to Chelsea this weekend, says Jose Mourinho; QPR and Blues to tangle on NBCSN 0
- Prince-Wright’s Premier League picks: Chelsea, Arsenal, Everton the standouts 1