Jan 11, 2014, 10:48 AM EST
It’s been rumored, but now it seems to be official: Aiden McGeady is the newest Everton player. Spartak Moscow revealed on their website on Saturday that the club had agreed to a deal with the Toffees for the winger.Later that afternoon, McGeady, wearing an Everton kit, paraded around Goodison Park prior to kickoff against Norwich. While there’s no word yet on a fee, McGeady will join on a Moscow on a four-and-a-half year deal.
27-year-old McGeady signed from Celtic, where he’d made 185 senior appearances in his seven seasons at the club, to Spartak in August 2010. At the time, his signing, rumored to be around £9.5m, was the most expensive from Scottish football. During his time in Russia, McGeady made 72 appearances for Spartak Moscow, scoring 11 goals.
The winger has also been a regular face in the Republic of Ireland side, although he failed to impress in 2010 World Cup qualifying. Giovanni Trappatoni included him in the squad for the 2012 European Championships, during which McGeady set up Ireland’s only goal by earning a free kick.
With his creativity and pace, McGeady seems an ideal fit for Roberto Martinez‘s side, adding a bit of variety to an already solid squad.
- Diego Costa maintains his innocence, says “I’ve not done anything wrong” 0
- DONE DEAL: Seydou Doumbia to Roma headlines quiet Saturday for transfers 0
- Premier League Sunday preview: Top-half teams jockey for position 0
- Premier League roundup: Big wins for Manchester United, Liverpool, Tottenham and more 0
- Three things we learned from Chelsea vs. Manchester City 0
- Player Ratings: How did Chelsea, Manchester City’s stand-in’s fare? 0