Jan 11, 2014, 7:02 AM EDT
Chelsea are in for French youngster Kurt Zouma, with the promising teenager one of the top young defenders in Europe. The 19-year-old is highly-touted to one day be captain of France by Didier Dechamps, as the Saint-Étienne prospect has already been called into the national team. Saint-Étienne are looking for $15 million for their prodigy and may sell him earlier than this summer if the right bid comes on. Chelsea face competition from Inter Milan and Monaco, as they aim to rebuild their backline with one eye on the future.
The Gunners are looking to spend big in the transfer window as many expect a new striker to arrive at the Emirates. However it looks as though Arsene Wenger may plump for some more attacking midfielders. Yoann Gourcuff from Lyon could provide plenty of guile and ingenuity to Arsenal’s already stacked midfield with the French international looking for a move to England. Lyon would accept a bid of $6-10 million, as they look to get Gourcuff off the wage bill with the 27-year-old itching to play in the UEFA Champions League.
Sunderland are close to signing Argentine central defender Santiago Vergini from Estudiantes. The 25-year-old has been a long-term target for Black Cats boss Gus Poyet and at 6 foot 3 inches tall, he’ll add some extra strength and solidity to Sunderland’s defense. Poyet could pick up Vergini for less than $1 million, in a bargain because of Estudiantes’ perilous financial situation.
Bacary Sagna could be heading to Turkish giants Galatasaray as the 30-year-old French international continues to stall on a new deal with Arsenal. Sagna has played 17 times for the Gunners this season, as their regular right back only has until this summer on his contract. Sagna has been embroiled in long contract talks and is apparently no closer to sorting things out. Gala are apparently offering Sagna a deal worth $6.4 million per season. Will the Frenchman leave the Emirates?
Another player that is having his head turned away from London to foreign leagues is Chelsea’s Eden Hazard. The Belgian attacker, 23, is apparently being chased by Paris Saint-Germain but Chelsea boss Mourinho is reluctant to let his prized possession leave and claims “no price” would see Hazard leave Stamford Bridge. Hazard has shone this season and previously made his name in the French leagues with Ligue 1 club Lille. Does he fancy a move back to France with reigning champions PSG?
- US women lose second straight for first time since 2001 after ugly 5-3 defeat to Denmark 0
- Premier League Playback: Fifth place finish for Man United? Superstar Shaw, Arsenal’s big chance 0
- Bayern Munich star Toni Kroos fails to rule out Manchester United move 5
- Manchester United set to bid $50 million for Southampton’s star duo 0
- In MLS, West is best… at least for a weekend 1
- Netherlands and Roma on alert after Kevin Strootman carted off against Napoli 0
- Maidana Stars in Impressive Philly Newbie Trio
- Barnsley Send Brek Shea Back to Stoke after Fight with Fan
- Yanks in Mexico: Torres Scores in Tigres Win, Garza Gives Solid Display
- Julio Cesar Put his Semester in Toronto at Risk
- Getafe Fire Luis Garcia, Hire Cosmin Contra as New Manager
- Former Sounders Teammates Rosales and Hurtado Faced off in LA
- The Clock is Ticking for Tim Sherwood at Spurs
- The FIFA World Cup Trophy for the First Time in Sarajevo
- Despite Early Deficit, Revs Could've Climbed Back vs. Dynamo
- Red Bulls' Opening Act has A Nightmare Finish