Jan 11, 2014, 11:47 AM EDT
Swansea travel to Old Trafford for the second time in a week, hoping to replicate their 2-1 FA Cup win over Manchester United (watch live on NBC at 12:30 p.m. ET, or live online via NBC Sports Live Extra).
The Swans grabbed a last minute winner against United last week, when Wilfried Bony‘s header piled even more woes upon David Moyes. It was a welcome win for Swansea, however, with the side sitting in 13th, a mere four points above the relegation zone. Now, of course, Swansea need to do the same in the league, despite being winnless in their last six Premier League outings.
It’s United that’s suffering more, however, as is evidenced by their seventh placed position, and the fact that they’re 12 points off Chelsea in first. In the past week they’ve been dumped out of the FA Cup by Swansea and, two days later, lost the first leg of the Capital One Cup semi-finals to Sunderland. That’s on top of their latest Premier League match, in which they fell 2-1 to Tottenham at home.
Michael Landrup has made four changes to the side that beat United 2-1, putting on Angel Rangel, Ashley Williams, Ben Davies and Jose Canas for Dwight Tiendalli, Chico, Neil Taylor and Jonathan de Guzman. Moyes chose to make three changes from the side that lost to Sunderland. Chris Smalling, Darren Fletcher and Shinji Kagawa replace Jonny Evans, Tom Cleverley and Ryan Giggs.
Manchester United: De Gea; Rafael, Smalling, Vidic, Evra; Valencia, Carrick, Fletcher, Januzaj; Kagawa, Welbeck
Subs: Lindegaard, Büttner, Cleverley, Giggs, Lingard, Zaha, Hernandez
Swansea: Tremmel, Rangel, Amat, Williams, Davies, Britton, Canas, Shelvey, Pozuelo, Routledge, Bony
Subs: Cornell, Richards, Chico, Taylor, Lucas, Vazquez, Donnelly
- Next step: Las Vegas soccer stadium moves forward, but there’s a catch 1
- Lionel Messi heading to PSG, Chelsea? Not so fast, say Barcelona 1
- $88 million Edinson Cavani linked to Arsenal, Liverpool, Manchester United 3
- Europa League Preview: Everton head to Russia, Spurs host Besiktas 0
- Report: Diego Maradona nearing deal to manage Palestinian National Team 1
- Three things we learned after Liverpool’s latest defeat, this time vs. Basel 6