Jan 11, 2014, 11:47 AM EDT
Swansea travel to Old Trafford for the second time in a week, hoping to replicate their 2-1 FA Cup win over Manchester United (watch live on NBC at 12:30 p.m. ET, or live online via NBC Sports Live Extra).
The Swans grabbed a last minute winner against United last week, when Wilfried Bony‘s header piled even more woes upon David Moyes. It was a welcome win for Swansea, however, with the side sitting in 13th, a mere four points above the relegation zone. Now, of course, Swansea need to do the same in the league, despite being winnless in their last six Premier League outings.
It’s United that’s suffering more, however, as is evidenced by their seventh placed position, and the fact that they’re 12 points off Chelsea in first. In the past week they’ve been dumped out of the FA Cup by Swansea and, two days later, lost the first leg of the Capital One Cup semi-finals to Sunderland. That’s on top of their latest Premier League match, in which they fell 2-1 to Tottenham at home.
Michael Landrup has made four changes to the side that beat United 2-1, putting on Angel Rangel, Ashley Williams, Ben Davies and Jose Canas for Dwight Tiendalli, Chico, Neil Taylor and Jonathan de Guzman. Moyes chose to make three changes from the side that lost to Sunderland. Chris Smalling, Darren Fletcher and Shinji Kagawa replace Jonny Evans, Tom Cleverley and Ryan Giggs.
Manchester United: De Gea; Rafael, Smalling, Vidic, Evra; Valencia, Carrick, Fletcher, Januzaj; Kagawa, Welbeck
Subs: Lindegaard, Büttner, Cleverley, Giggs, Lingard, Zaha, Hernandez
Swansea: Tremmel, Rangel, Amat, Williams, Davies, Britton, Canas, Shelvey, Pozuelo, Routledge, Bony
Subs: Cornell, Richards, Chico, Taylor, Lucas, Vazquez, Donnelly
- MLS Player of the Week — Week 8: Columbus Crew SC’s Ethan Finlay 0
- MLS Team of the Week — Stars of Week 8 0
- Not even allowed an appeal: CONCACAF confirms Bush suspension for Champions League final 2
- Premier League Playback: Chelsea brilliant, not boring, as title inches closer 0
- MLS official squashes rumor of emergency intra-MLS goalkeeper loan for CONCACAF Champions League final 11
- VIDEO: Premier League Player of the Week — Round 34 0