Jan 12, 2014, 12:06 PM EDT
Portuguese club Benfica, where Eusebio played for most of his career, honored their fallen legend today in grand style.
In their first home match since his passing, the club organized a number of brilliant tributes to his legacy at the club on the league and world stage.
Eusebio, who passed away last Sunday at the age of 71, spent 15 seasons with the Portuguese club and scored 317 league goals in 304 appearances.
Days after holding a rally at Benfica’s Luz stadium with the legendary player’s coffin at the center of the pitch, the fans and players alike honored their club hero.
A beautiful tifo and other intricately placed decorations around the pitch and stands adorned the Estadio da Luz before the match:
As the players emerged, they showed the name “Eusebio” on the back of each player’s kit.
When Rodrigo gave Benfica the opening goal, he celebrated calmly and dedicated the score to the man of the day:
Eusebio brought Benfica to new heights, playing in five UEFA Cup finals and winning two, and also earning the Ballon d’Or in 1965.
- WATCH: Premier League live online via NBC Sports Live Extra – Week 34 0
- Watch Live: Southampton vs. Tottenham Hotspur (Lineups and Live Stream) 0
- Premier League Preview: West Bromwich Albion vs. Liverpool 0
- SportsWorld: Jose Fonte talks playing with Ronaldo, shares thoughts on MLS 0
- Prince-Wright’s Premier League picks: Time for the underdogs to shine 0
- WATCH: NBC Sports’ Premier League TV schedule – Week 34 0