Jan 12, 2014, 12:06 PM EDT
Portuguese club Benfica, where Eusebio played for most of his career, honored their fallen legend today in grand style.
In their first home match since his passing, the club organized a number of brilliant tributes to his legacy at the club on the league and world stage.
Eusebio, who passed away last Sunday at the age of 71, spent 15 seasons with the Portuguese club and scored 317 league goals in 304 appearances.
Days after holding a rally at Benfica’s Luz stadium with the legendary player’s coffin at the center of the pitch, the fans and players alike honored their club hero.
A beautiful tifo and other intricately placed decorations around the pitch and stands adorned the Estadio da Luz before the match:
As the players emerged, they showed the name “Eusebio” on the back of each player’s kit.
When Rodrigo gave Benfica the opening goal, he celebrated calmly and dedicated the score to the man of the day:
Eusebio brought Benfica to new heights, playing in five UEFA Cup finals and winning two, and also earning the Ballon d’Or in 1965.
Mar 10, 2014, 8:03 PM EDT
What to do with the goal-scoring 34-year-old Scot who’s out of contract in June?
Mar 10, 2014, 7:25 PM EDT
“Kevin made a huge contribution to our qualification for the World Cup, he never let us down and now his dreams have died,” said Holland manager Louis van Gaal.
Mar 10, 2014, 6:42 PM EDT
Like Manuel Pellegrini and his distaste for a certain Swedish official, Wenger is also critical of UEFA slotting in a referee from a non-footballing power.
Mar 10, 2014, 5:58 PM EDT
MLS has become a decent destination for goalkeepers, with top internationals for Peru, Brazil and Panama plying their trades in the United States this season.
Mar 10, 2014, 5:25 PM EDT
Djalo, 27, hasn’t found his footing in Lisbon, playing in just three matches since then and spending parts of 2012 and 2013 on loan at Toulouse in Ligue 1, where he appeared 17 times.
Mar 10, 2014, 4:45 PM EDT
Arsenal has been handed a boost for their massive Tuesday task of reversing Bayern Munich’s 2-0 advantage in the UEFA Champions League’s Round of 16.
Mar 10, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
“It’s like playing 1 1/2, 1 3/4 games in terms of damage to your body,” said Ryan Nelsen.
Mar 10, 2014, 3:25 PM EDT
That is not a lousy public high-five for a player, now, is it?
Mar 10, 2014, 2:53 PM EDT
Timbers skipper staying put, as owner Paulson takes to Twitter to rejoice:
Mar 10, 2014, 2:46 PM EDT
Four teams dominate selections, find out if your favorites were rewarded:
Mar 10, 2014, 2:32 PM EDT
Barcelona have lost two of their last three La Liga matches, can City inflict more UCL heartache on the Catalan club?
Mar 10, 2014, 1:55 PM EDT
Reds are in the red… but Champions League soccer could solve that and increase the club’s financial footing:
Mar 10, 2014, 1:05 PM EDT
After Shea apparently ‘flipped the bird’ Barnsley end his loan deal from Stoke early:
Mar 10, 2014, 12:55 PM EDT
USWNT lost two straight games, winless in three for the first time in 13 years:
Mar 10, 2014, 12:45 PM EDT
Find out why the FA has reprimanded a Newcastle player for breaching betting rules, as some PL players continue to break rules:
Mar 10, 2014, 11:52 AM EDT
See who dazzled and shone above the rest during Week 29:
Mar 10, 2014, 11:12 AM EDT
Two designs left, as NYC FC let their fans pick the franchises new badge ahead of 2015 MLS entry:
Mar 10, 2014, 10:36 AM EDT
PST’s lead writer and editor takes an alternative look at all the action from Week 29:
Mar 10, 2014, 9:29 AM EDT
German international Kroos: “It is no secret the Premier League is a possibility”
Mar 10, 2014, 8:35 AM EDT
Newcastle’s on-loan forward interesting Arsenal, after stellar 2013-14 campaign:
- If you had Pepe Reina in your “European star rumored for MLS” pool today, you win! 0
- US women lose second straight for first time since 2001 after ugly 5-3 defeat to Denmark 3
- Premier League Playback: Fifth place finish for Man United? Superstar Shaw, Arsenal’s big chance 0
- Bayern Munich star Toni Kroos fails to rule out Manchester United move 6
- Manchester United set to bid $50 million for Southampton’s star duo 0
- In MLS, West is best… at least for a weekend 1
- TV Ratings for MLS Season Opener Increase 283% in 1 Year
- Liga MX Radar: Michael Arroyo Scores a Quad
- Sounders FC Monday Morning Breakdown
- Maidana Stars in Impressive Philly Newbie Trio
- Barnsley Send Brek Shea Back to Stoke after Fight with Fan
- Yanks in Mexico: Torres Scores in Tigres Win, Garza Gives Solid Display
- Julio Cesar Put his Semester in Toronto at Risk
- Getafe Fire Luis Garcia, Hire Cosmin Contra as New Manager
- Former Sounders Teammates Rosales and Hurtado Faced off in LA
- The Clock is Ticking for Tim Sherwood at Spurs