Jan 12, 2014, 2:51 PM EDT
Real Madrid have finally admitted their mistake after almost a four month holdout.
“I think we made a mistake when we gave him the possibility to leave the club,” said Ancelotti. “However, we have fantastic strikers and don’t need a back-up after Higuain’s departure.”
Since moving to the Emirates for a reported £41.5 million ($68.3 million), the 25-year-old German has been brilliant for Arsenal, scoring four goals and assisting eight more in the Number 10 position.
Without Ozil, Isco has gotten much of the playing time in the attacking midfield. And while the Spaniard has bagged six goals and four assists this season in La Liga play, few would claim the 21-year-old is on the same level as the man he replaced.
Luca Modric has occasionally advanced forward into the attacking midfield role, and 20-year-old Jese has found some time there as well.
The German has his new club in a position of control at the top of the Premier League table, and deep in the Champions League and FA Cup competitions. The club is searching for their first trophy since 2005.
Ozil told the Daily Star today that his move has gone just about as well as possible. “I feel comfortable here,” the German said. “You can see on the pitch when we play together that we have a very good understanding. The team is great and for me it has been very easy to settle – the German players have helped me to establish myself quicker than I perhaps would have done if they were not here.”
The midfielder said the fan support has been a big factor in his ability to settle in London. “We can show our thanks by playing successful and attractive football and getting good results,” he said. “The team deserve to win a trophy
- Three things we learned from Arsenal vs. Chelsea 0
- Arsenal 0-0 Chelsea: Organized Blues defending effectively ends title race 0
- Who were the biggest snubs in PFA’s Premier League Team of the Season selections? 3
- PFA Team of the Year announced: 6 Blues lead the way 0
- VIDEO: Premier League Sunday preview – Arsenal vs. Chelsea, Everton vs. Manchester United 0
- MLS roundup: 20 goals in 4 games Saturday night — WATCH THEM ALL! 1