Jan 12, 2014, 9:21 AM EDT
A series of pinpoint passes led to a clean finish for Edin Dzeko as Manchester City take an early lead at St. James Park.
The lead for Manchester City comes in just the eighth minute, as City continues to try and buck a poor first-half road record.
The chance required dead-eye passing, considering Kolarov was covered well by Newcastle defender Steven Taylor, and Dzeko was flanked on either end by two Magpies.
It’s been a flying opening 10 minutes, as Newcastle pushed in the first couple of minutes and City has overtaken the chances since then.
Just four minutes after the goal City almost had a second in similar fashion, as Kolarov continues to overlap on the left and deliver pinpoint crosses. He nearly found Alvaro Negredo for a sliding finish but the cross was just inches out of reach.
- Rare bad night from Robbie Keane costs LA Galaxy against Real Salt Lake 0
- Atlantic crushed: D.C. United, New York open the season with three-goal losses 2
- Stoppage time goal gives Seattle 1-0 opening day win over Sporting Kansas City (video) 10
- Premier League Roundup: Chelsea clear at the top, Manchester United click, Cardiff bag huge win 0
- Chelsea 4-0 Tottenham Hotspur: Blues blitz Spurs to extend their lead at the top (video) 0
- Cardiff City 3-1 Fulham: Bluebirds win the relegation dogfight 0
- Dallas Manage 3-2 Win in Season Opener Against Impact
- Dynamo Shut Out the Revs as Bruin Scores a Pair
- Argentine Melodies Illuminate Rainy Night in Portland
- LA Galaxy Gift Real Salt Lake Three Points in Season Opener
- Berhalter Gets First Win as Columbus Downs D.C. United 3-0
- Colorado Rapids - 3 Hopes and One Fear
- NYRB Don't Know What Hits Them in Emphatic 4-1 Whitecaps Win
- John Terry Rules out International Return
- Aberdeen March on in Scottish FA Cup
- 2014 MLS Season: Rebuilding The San Jose Earthquakes