Jan 12, 2014, 2:23 PM EST
Reports have surfaced prior to Newcastle’s match today that embattled Magpies striker Papiss Cisse could be on his way to the future site of the World Cup.
Since bursting onto the Premier League scene last year with 13 goals in his first 12 matches, things have gone downhill fast for the 28-year-old. He has just six starts on the Premier League season (none since early October), and just a single goal since last April.
Borussia Monchengladbach striker Luuk De Jong reportedly wants out of the Bundesliga club. Having joined Monchengladbach in the summer of 2012 in a big-money move from FC Twente, the 23-year-old has struggled to make the starting lineup ever since arthroscopic knee surgery last October.
This season, De Jong has made 13 league appearances, but all have come off the bench and only amount to 85 total minutes. He has not logged a goal yet. The frustration has boiled over for the Dutch striker, who told Bild that his manager Lucien Favre “does not give me the impression that he wants to build with me.”
He has been linked to Newcastle, although any Premier League club in need of goals with some cash to spend could benefit from a move for the Dutchman. Back in December, Stoke’s Dutch defender Erik Pieters endorsed a move for his countryman.
Today David Moyes was spotted in Sardinia watching the Serie A match between Juventus and Cagliari. It’s reported the Manchester United manager was interested in scouting Cagliari central defender Davide Astori as well as Juventus midfielder Claudio Marchisio, who scored in the match.
Manchester City goalkeeper Costel Pantilimon impressed in his understudy duties for Joe Hart, and it’s alerted clubs who wish to make him a starter. La Liga bottomfeeders Real Betis are reportedly the first to make a move, hoping to lure the Romanian shot-stopper with a spot in their starting eleven.
Pantilimon’s defensive teammate Jolean Lescott was rumored to be on his way out after a long spell on the bench, but manager Manuel Pellegrini shot that down in the media. “When this transfer window is over at the end of January, we will see what happens. At the moment, Joleon will stay here with the team.” Pellegrini also confirmed no bids have been submitted for his services.
The rumors of Kevin De Bruyne‘s move to Wolfsburg took another step forward with reports that the move is near completion. The Daiy Star quoted Wolfsburg director of sport Klaus Allofs as declaring, “It’s not that we can confirm the deal just yet, but we are no longer so far apart with Chelsea that we can’t bridge the differences.”
- Liverpool 2-2 Arsenal: Wounded Skrtel turns away Gunners at the death 0
- Arsene Wenger says Arsenal could spend big in January, if the deals are right 0
- Real Madrid outclass San Lorenzo, win 2014 Club World Cup 6
- Premier League Sunday preview: Loaded morning sees Tyne-Wear Derby and Liverpool vs. Arsenal 0
- Premier League roundup: Goals galore as Saints, Tottenham, QPR, Man City win 0
- WATCH: Match of the Day – Recap Saturday’s madness in the Premier League 0