Jan 12, 2014, 8:20 AM EDT
Manchester City is hoping to continue the game of leapfrog at the top of the table, as they head to St. James Park for a 9:05am ET kickoff live on NBCSN or live online at NBC Sports Live Extra.
The trio of City, Chelsea, and Arsenal all continue to post wins and jump each other back into the top of the table, with each team hoping for the other to falter.
Chelsea took the Premier League lead with their 2-0 win over Hull City yesterday, but the Sky Blues could overtake them with three points at Newcastle.
That’s not an easy task, however, considering the well-documented struggles for Manuel Pellegrini’s squad away from home. The manager is still without Sergio Aguero, although he’s close to return, and Jesus Navas is fit after a small knee bother, but can only make the bench.
Edin Dzeko continues to deputize for Aguero in the attack, getting just his ninth start this year. Before the season Pellegrini had said the Bosnian was his main man up front. Unfortunately, the emergence of Navas and Alvaro Negredo and the outstanding partnerships they’ve developed with Aguero has seen Dzeko return to an understudy role.
An interesting note at the back for the Newcastle lineup, reports were that Davide Santon was unfit to play, however he does indeed start at left-back, something to keep an eye on as the match progresses. Fellow defenders Fabriccio Coloccini (knee) and Mathieu Debuchy (suspended) are out.
Newcastle United – Krul; Santon, S.Taylor, Williamson, Yanga-Mbiwa; Anita, Tiote, Cabaye; Sissoko, Remy, Gouffran.
Bench – Elliot, Haidara, Gosling, Marveaux, Sammy Ameobi, Ben Arfa, Cisse.
- Premier League Sunday Preview: Liverpool’s chance to tighten its grip; Fourth place in focus 0
- MLS Roundup: Sporting climbs to first in East; RSL stays undefeated 0
- Late Martins goal gives Seattle full points at Chivas USA (video) 0
- Grabavoy winner prolongs Portland’s agony against Real Salt Lake (video) 0
- Pérez’s late goal gives FC Dallas 2-1 win over Toronto FC (video) 2
- D.C. United takes a point out of Columbus, but referee has some explaining to do (video) 1