Jan 12, 2014, 8:20 AM EST
Manchester City is hoping to continue the game of leapfrog at the top of the table, as they head to St. James Park for a 9:05am ET kickoff live on NBCSN or live online at NBC Sports Live Extra.
The trio of City, Chelsea, and Arsenal all continue to post wins and jump each other back into the top of the table, with each team hoping for the other to falter.
Chelsea took the Premier League lead with their 2-0 win over Hull City yesterday, but the Sky Blues could overtake them with three points at Newcastle.
That’s not an easy task, however, considering the well-documented struggles for Manuel Pellegrini’s squad away from home. The manager is still without Sergio Aguero, although he’s close to return, and Jesus Navas is fit after a small knee bother, but can only make the bench.
Edin Dzeko continues to deputize for Aguero in the attack, getting just his ninth start this year. Before the season Pellegrini had said the Bosnian was his main man up front. Unfortunately, the emergence of Navas and Alvaro Negredo and the outstanding partnerships they’ve developed with Aguero has seen Dzeko return to an understudy role.
An interesting note at the back for the Newcastle lineup, reports were that Davide Santon was unfit to play, however he does indeed start at left-back, something to keep an eye on as the match progresses. Fellow defenders Fabriccio Coloccini (knee) and Mathieu Debuchy (suspended) are out.
Newcastle United – Krul; Santon, S.Taylor, Williamson, Yanga-Mbiwa; Anita, Tiote, Cabaye; Sissoko, Remy, Gouffran.
Bench – Elliot, Haidara, Gosling, Marveaux, Sammy Ameobi, Ben Arfa, Cisse.
- Americans Abroad Preview: European-based Americans back in action 0
- PST writers predict the 2014 Major League Soccer standings, do you agree? 3
- After monumental rebuild, Seattle Sounders target MLS Cup title. Can Sigi Schmid bring success? 3
- 2014 Season Preview: Welcome to the last year of MLS 2.0 4
- WATCH: Premier League TV Schedule – Week 29 0
- MLS Preview: Seattle Sounders vs. Sporting Kansas City 0
- Everton is Focused on Beating Arsenal
- Moyes and Martinez Back Cleverley
- Luis Suarez Continues to Say the Right Things
- RSL 2014 Season Preview
- Portland Timbers Season Preview
- Toronto FC Season Preview
- Duvall, Oyongo & Stevenson Sign Contracts with NY Red Bulls
- Moyes Writes Open Letter to Man United Fans
- San Jose Earthquakes: Players To Watch In 2014 Season
- A Good Start Would Go A Long Way for the Chicago Fire