Jan 13, 2014, 11:29 AM EDT
The FIFA FIFPro World XI, set to be announced at this evening’s Ballon d’Or ceremony in Zurich, has seemingly been leaked by someone working at the event who took the photo (at right).
Assuming the photo accurately represents the 2013 World XI squad, the team is as follows:
Goalkeeper: Manuel Neuer – Bayern Munich
Defender: Philipp Lahm – Bayern Munich
Defender: Sergio Ramos – Real Madrid
Defender: Thiago Silva – PSG
Defender: Dani Alves – FC Barcelona
Midfielder: Andres Iniesta – FC Barcelona
Midfielder: Xavi Hernandez – FC Barcelona
Midfielder: Franck Ribery – Bayern Munich
Forward: Cristiano Ronaldo – Real Madrd
Forward: Zlatan Ibrahimovic – PSG
Forward: Lionel Messi – FC Barcelona
It’s also interesting to note that the World XI team is made up of players from only four clubs: Bayern Munich, Paris Saint-Germain, Barcelona and Real Madrid. That means no Premier League players, no Serie A players and no players employed outside of Europe.
Tonight’s event will decide the winner of Ballon D’Or with Lionel Messi, Franck Ribery and Cristiano Ronaldo all nominated. Ronaldo is expected to claim the prize with bookmakers slashing the odds on him to 1/50. The gala will also decide manager of the year with former Bayern Munich manager Jupp Heynckes and current Dortmund manager Jurgen Klopp short-listed for the award.
You can watch the press conference from the ceremony in the video below.
- WATCH: Saturday’s top 5 goals in Major League Soccer 0
- MLS roundup: Houston, Vancouver sit on top of their conferences after day one 0
- Rare bad night from Robbie Keane costs LA Galaxy against Real Salt Lake 0
- Atlantic crushed: D.C. United, New York open the season with three-goal losses 2
- Stoppage time goal gives Seattle 1-0 opening day win over Sporting Kansas City (video) 10
- Premier League Roundup: Chelsea clear at the top, Manchester United click, Cardiff bag huge win 0
- Will Johnson: We Weren't all Quite at the Races
- Owners Legal Issues Have Caught Up to Queretaro
- Juventus Prove They Know how to Win Despite Weak Performance Against Fiore
- Liverpool is Ready to Spend $100 Million in Summer Transfers
- Dallas Manage 3-2 Win in Season Opener Against Impact
- Dynamo Shut Out the Revs as Bruin Scores a Pair
- Argentine Melodies Illuminate Rainy Night in Portland
- LA Galaxy Gift Real Salt Lake Three Points in Season Opener
- Berhalter Gets First Win as Columbus Downs D.C. United 3-0
- Colorado Rapids - 3 Hopes and One Fear