Jan 13, 2014, 11:29 AM EDT
The FIFA FIFPro World XI, set to be announced at this evening’s Ballon d’Or ceremony in Zurich, has seemingly been leaked by someone working at the event who took the photo (at right).
Assuming the photo accurately represents the 2013 World XI squad, the team is as follows:
Goalkeeper: Manuel Neuer – Bayern Munich
Defender: Philipp Lahm – Bayern Munich
Defender: Sergio Ramos – Real Madrid
Defender: Thiago Silva – PSG
Defender: Dani Alves – FC Barcelona
Midfielder: Andres Iniesta – FC Barcelona
Midfielder: Xavi Hernandez – FC Barcelona
Midfielder: Franck Ribery – Bayern Munich
Forward: Cristiano Ronaldo – Real Madrd
Forward: Zlatan Ibrahimovic – PSG
Forward: Lionel Messi – FC Barcelona
It’s also interesting to note that the World XI team is made up of players from only four clubs: Bayern Munich, Paris Saint-Germain, Barcelona and Real Madrid. That means no Premier League players, no Serie A players and no players employed outside of Europe.
Tonight’s event will decide the winner of Ballon D’Or with Lionel Messi, Franck Ribery and Cristiano Ronaldo all nominated. Ronaldo is expected to claim the prize with bookmakers slashing the odds on him to 1/50. The gala will also decide manager of the year with former Bayern Munich manager Jupp Heynckes and current Dortmund manager Jurgen Klopp short-listed for the award.
You can watch the press conference from the ceremony in the video below.
- Still defending racial incident, seething at bite talk, Suarez returns for Barcelona 0
- Prince-Wright’s Premier League picks – Manchester United, Arsenal, Liverpool 0
- WATCH: Premier League TV schedule – Week 9 0
- Introducing: “The 2 Robbies ‘Football’ Show” on NBCSportsRadio.com 0
- El Clasico: Luis Suarez, Barcelona and Real Madrid together at last 0
- VIDEO: Can Manchester United beat Chelsea? PST Extra breaks it down 2