Jan 13, 2014, 1:27 PM EDT
During the 2012 Ballon d’Or ceremony Lionel Messi donned a hideous polka-dot tuxedo, showing the world that his fashion sense wasn’t necessarily on par with his football skills.
For this year’s ceremony, Messi one-upped last year’s garb by wearing a bright red tuxedo that would have Ron Burgundy himself jealous.
Normally, a man would be panned for wearing such duds. But this is Lionel Messi. And he has carte blanche to wear whatever the heck he wants, without ridicule, for the rest of his life.
It’s of little surprise, then, that Twitter has been abuzz with Messi-related tweets and photos. Here are the best ones from today:
- On Jurgen Klinsmann and Michael Bradley and “playing out of position” 1
- Three things we learned from the USMNT’s late 1-1 draw in Switzerland 1
- Player ratings: Stars and flops for the USMNT in 1-1 draw at Switzerland 8
- Switzerland 1-1 USMNT: Another late equalizer cancels out Shea’s stunner 3
- VIDEO: Watch Brek Shea’s stunning free kick for USA against Switzerland 2
- Lineups out for USMNT vs. Switzerland: Williams, Morales, Shea come in; diamond in midfield 2