Rounding up MLS news; yes, there was more today beyond the Defoe-Bradley-TFC bombshell

Jan 13, 2014, 11:04 PM EDT

Michael Parkhurst of the U.S. men's national team attends a practice session in Glendale, Arizona

If you want to make a splash in MLS news circles, best not to try on the same day the U.S. national team’s best player is re-introduced into the league.

Still, there were other developments.

The biggest was Michael Parkhurst getting back into MLS. Count Parkhurst (pictured) among the set that idles just beyond the top of the U.S. national team rotation. Parkhurst, 29, did collect six starts for Jurgen Klinsmann last year at right back, so he remains in the picture.

Now he’s back in MLS, and it’s a great “get” for Columbus.

The Crew, under the direction of a former U.S. center back in Gregg Berhalter, acquired Parkhurst’s rights Monday from New England, also announcing that they had come to terms with the U.S. defender.

Parkhurst was as solid as they come in his days with the Revolution (2005-08).

Parkhurst spent five seasons with Danish Superliga side F.C. Nordsjælland (2008-2013) before a move to Germany’s Augsburg, where things never quite took off. He’ll be among the most cerebral defenders (while probably moving back to center back). In his days with New England, Parkhurst could darn near tell you about every foul for which he was whistled – because his high-quality positional approach meant he got called for precious few of them.

The Crew had to hand off the No. 4 pick in Thursday’s draft. So, perhaps New England has a pick in mind for which they needed to move up in Thursday’s order? Remember, Jay Heaps and Co. traded up in the order last year and ended up with a gem in defender Andrew Farrell. Here, a couple of the big brains from MLSSoccer.com debate as to whom New England may covet this year.

But, since this day does belong to Defoe, Bradley and all the bold stroking folks around Exhibition Place in Toronto, we’ll gladly give them the last word.

They reminded us that for all the flash and dash and glitz and glam or it all, it’s still about winning trophies.

1. braxtonrob - Jan 14, 2014 at 1:50 AM

I love (our) MLS league.

2. mvktr2 - Jan 14, 2014 at 5:27 AM

Steve (& Richard) with the news leaking that NBC is out of the next round of MLS media rights I wanted to thank you both for your service in writing about MLS and doing a very fine job of it. I know it’s a while off but I hope yall will keep tabs here at ProSoccerTalk on MLS post-split.

• lavatomy - Jan 14, 2014 at 9:30 AM

I agree with mvktr2.

I hate the over saturation of EPL coverage to the point that I don’t bother clicking on any EPL stories and I understand is because NBC has the tv rights so they need to push their product but I do always come back for the MLS bits. So hopefully the amount of MLS coverage doesn’t go down when NBC no longer has the MLS tv rights.

• tylerbetts - Jan 14, 2014 at 10:39 AM

I’ll echo that as well. To me, PST is second only to SBI for my MLS fix, and sometimes I come here first just because I like Steve and Richard better. Really hoping MLS, covered by Richard and Steve, either remains here after the split, or Richard and Steve move on to a site that will give MLS its proper due.

3. tylerbetts - Jan 14, 2014 at 10:44 AM

By the way, do you guys remember that one time a commenter on here suggested Parkhurst move back to MLS? Back on, like, January 4th?

PST Extra: What next for Man United?