Jan 13, 2014, 10:06 PM EDT
Clint Dempsey liked Cristiano Ronaldo as the 2013 FIFA Ballon d’Or winner, so the U.S. attacker was among the big herd that ushered Portugal’s fancy forward into his second award as globe’s top player.
The Real Madrid man outdistanced fellow finalists Lionel Messi and Franck Ribery in Monday’s voting.
Former U.S. manager Bob Bradley also like Ronaldo as the choice. Ditto for LA Galaxy striker and Irish international Robbie Keane.
But U.S. manager Jurgen Klinsmann? Not so much. Ronaldo didn’t appear on the U.S. coach’s ballot (each voter lists a top three), according to the official FIFA register of voting released Monday afternoon.
Klinsmann preferred Ribery, followed by Gareth Bale and then Radamel Falcao, the talented Colombian striker, who earns his pay for Monaco in France’s Ligue 1.
Take a second to peruse the big list linked above. You might be interested, for instance, to see who Messi liked. (Hint: it wasn’t Ronaldo. In fact, Ronaldo didn’t appear on Messi’s ballot. Then again, Messi didn’t appear on Ronaldo’s ballot, either. So there.)
- In MLS, West is best… at least for a weekend 0
- Netherlands and Roma on alert after Kevin Strootman carted off against Napoli 0
- Quick Six: Chelsea’s second halves, Fulham helps Cardiff, and the rest of the headlines from this weekend’s Premier League action 0
- Americans Abroad Review: Boyd and Johannsson shine again 1
- WATCH: Saturday’s top 5 goals in Major League Soccer 0
- MLS roundup: Houston, Vancouver sit on top of their conferences after day one 0
- Will Johnson: We Weren't all Quite at the Races
- Owners Legal Issues Have Caught Up to Queretaro
- Juventus Prove They Know how to Win Despite Weak Performance Against Fiore
- Liverpool is Ready to Spend $100 Million in Summer Transfers
- Dallas Manage 3-2 Win in Season Opener Against Impact
- Dynamo Shut Out the Revs as Bruin Scores a Pair
- Argentine Melodies Illuminate Rainy Night in Portland
- LA Galaxy Gift Real Salt Lake Three Points in Season Opener
- Berhalter Gets First Win as Columbus Downs D.C. United 3-0
- Colorado Rapids - 3 Hopes and One Fear