Jan 15, 2014, 11:20 AM EST
Welcome to the first proper edition of Americans Abroad, where we’ll recap the week that was for Yank players on non-Yank pitches. If you’re looking for those playing outside of England, visit Part II of this week’s series.
Oguchi Onyewu has decided not to test the Major League Soccer waters. The now-former QPR back, who played so little at Loftus Road, will join Sheffield Wednesday in an attempt to help save the Owls spot in the Championship. Wednesday are four points out of the relegation zone, but haven’t lost a match since Dec. 21 and recently destroyed rivals Leeds United 6-0 on the road.
Clint Dempsey and Jozy Altidore squared off in the Premier League, with Altidore’s Sunderland side boasting a 4-1 win at Craven Cottage. Dempsey played 79 minutes before being subbed off for Darren Bent, while Altidore came on for the game’s final 25 minutes and registered an assist. It was his first point since scoring against Chelsea on Dec. 4.
Geoff Cameron‘s evening was a memorable one as Stoke lost a 5-3 thriller against Liverpool. Can’t exactly laud a player when his team allows five goals, but Cameron has been very good for the Potters. He’s played all 90 minutes in 20 PL matches, sitting out just one contest.
Two weeks after dazzling in his loan debut for Barnsley, Brek Shea is still waiting for his second match as a Red. That’s no fault of his own, as Barnsley’s schedule had a lapse until they face Blackpool on Jan. 18
Tim Howard kept a clean sheet at Goodison Park against Norwich City and, for what it’s worth, has provided the second-most points at goalkeeper in PL fantasy. Brad Guzan allowed two goals in a 2-1 loss to Arsenal.
Eric Lichaj missed Nottingham Forest’s draw with Bolton due to injury, while Tim Ream played all 90 in the back for the Wanderers.
The Juan Agudelo move to Stoke City is on… though MLS is reporting that he’ll go on loan first. Standard Liege, FC Twente and Valencia are the names whispered as destinations.
- Premier League Roundup: Chelsea clear at the top, Manchester United click, Cardiff bag huge win 0
- Watch Live: Sporting Kansas City at Seattle Sounders (Lineups and discussion) 0
- Chelsea 4-0 Tottenham: Blues blitz Spurs to extend their lead at the top 0
- Cardiff City 3-1 Fulham: Bluebirds win the relegation dogfight 0
- David Moyes on Manchester United’s win vs. West Brom: “That’s more like it” 0
- Arsenal 4-1 Everton: Gunners book FA Cup semifinal spot 0
- Sunderland Boss Poyet Challenges Altidore to Prove Him Wrong
- 2014 MLS Season: Hoping & Fearing with Montreal Impact
- Top Four Serie A Teams to Meet in Couple of Crucial Encounters
- Liverpool Eyeing Valencia Midfielder Dani Parejo
- Barca Have $83M for Transfers Plus Funds Raised from Sold Players
- What am I Watching?: The Paradox of the National Team
- Preview: Seattle Sounders vs Sporting Kansas City
- Liga MX Week 10 Round-Up: Toluca Keep Climbing
- New Look Whitecaps Aim to hit Ground Running Against NY Red Bulls
- Three Star Toluca Dominate in Victory Over Puebla