Jan 15, 2014, 11:20 AM EDT
Welcome to the first proper edition of Americans Abroad, where we’ll recap the week that was for Yank players on non-Yank pitches. If you’re looking for those playing outside of England, visit Part II of this week’s series.
Oguchi Onyewu has decided not to test the Major League Soccer waters. The now-former QPR back, who played so little at Loftus Road, will join Sheffield Wednesday in an attempt to help save the Owls spot in the Championship. Wednesday are four points out of the relegation zone, but haven’t lost a match since Dec. 21 and recently destroyed rivals Leeds United 6-0 on the road.
Clint Dempsey and Jozy Altidore squared off in the Premier League, with Altidore’s Sunderland side boasting a 4-1 win at Craven Cottage. Dempsey played 79 minutes before being subbed off for Darren Bent, while Altidore came on for the game’s final 25 minutes and registered an assist. It was his first point since scoring against Chelsea on Dec. 4.
Geoff Cameron‘s evening was a memorable one as Stoke lost a 5-3 thriller against Liverpool. Can’t exactly laud a player when his team allows five goals, but Cameron has been very good for the Potters. He’s played all 90 minutes in 20 PL matches, sitting out just one contest.
Two weeks after dazzling in his loan debut for Barnsley, Brek Shea is still waiting for his second match as a Red. That’s no fault of his own, as Barnsley’s schedule had a lapse until they face Blackpool on Jan. 18
Tim Howard kept a clean sheet at Goodison Park against Norwich City and, for what it’s worth, has provided the second-most points at goalkeeper in PL fantasy. Brad Guzan allowed two goals in a 2-1 loss to Arsenal.
Eric Lichaj missed Nottingham Forest’s draw with Bolton due to injury, while Tim Ream played all 90 in the back for the Wanderers.
The Juan Agudelo move to Stoke City is on… though MLS is reporting that he’ll go on loan first. Standard Liege, FC Twente and Valencia are the names whispered as destinations.
- Southampton’s new Canadian Chairman chats growth in North America, NHL roots, Saints’ future 0
- American soccer mourns the death of former MLS player Shawn Kuykendall, 32 0
- Manchester United’s Wayne Rooney muses on captaincies, laments Liverpool’s strong season 0
- Robben and Wenger have war of words in latest Champions League diving debate 2
- Arsenal’s Ozil out for “at least a few weeks” after injury in Champions League 0
- Preview: Barcelona, Manchester City stumble into Champions League second leg; PSG set to rest Ibrahimovic 0
- UEFA Investigate Bayern Munich's Kosovo Related Banner
- Arsenal's $64m Midfielder Strikes Out Again
- CR7 is a Superstar Both on and Off the Pitch
- Pareja Could Have Decision Looming at D-Mid
- Quakes Hit 94th Minute Goal to Tie Toluca in CONCACAF CL
- For the Red Bulls, Mistakes are Better Early Than Late
- If Man City Ever Stood a Chance, it’s Right Now
- Strootman Loss Detrimental to Roma
- Rooney Reveals Desire to Captain United and England
- Thistle Manager Sent Off While Playing For His Team's Under-20s