Jan 15, 2014, 11:20 AM EST
Welcome to the first proper edition of Americans Abroad, where we’ll recap the week that was for Yank players on non-Yank pitches. If you’re looking for those playing outside of England, visit Part II of this week’s series.
Oguchi Onyewu has decided not to test the Major League Soccer waters. The now-former QPR back, who played so little at Loftus Road, will join Sheffield Wednesday in an attempt to help save the Owls spot in the Championship. Wednesday are four points out of the relegation zone, but haven’t lost a match since Dec. 21 and recently destroyed rivals Leeds United 6-0 on the road.
Clint Dempsey and Jozy Altidore squared off in the Premier League, with Altidore’s Sunderland side boasting a 4-1 win at Craven Cottage. Dempsey played 79 minutes before being subbed off for Darren Bent, while Altidore came on for the game’s final 25 minutes and registered an assist. It was his first point since scoring against Chelsea on Dec. 4.
Geoff Cameron‘s evening was a memorable one as Stoke lost a 5-3 thriller against Liverpool. Can’t exactly laud a player when his team allows five goals, but Cameron has been very good for the Potters. He’s played all 90 minutes in 20 PL matches, sitting out just one contest.
Two weeks after dazzling in his loan debut for Barnsley, Brek Shea is still waiting for his second match as a Red. That’s no fault of his own, as Barnsley’s schedule had a lapse until they face Blackpool on Jan. 18
Tim Howard kept a clean sheet at Goodison Park against Norwich City and, for what it’s worth, has provided the second-most points at goalkeeper in PL fantasy. Brad Guzan allowed two goals in a 2-1 loss to Arsenal.
Eric Lichaj missed Nottingham Forest’s draw with Bolton due to injury, while Tim Ream played all 90 in the back for the Wanderers.
The Juan Agudelo move to Stoke City is on… though MLS is reporting that he’ll go on loan first. Standard Liege, FC Twente and Valencia are the names whispered as destinations.
- MLS Preview: Seattle Sounders vs. Sporting Kansas City 0
- WATCH: Stoke City fans erupt into “Delilah” chant during win over Arsenal 0
- Premier League Preview: Chelsea vs. Tottenham 0
- WATCH: PST Extra – Relegation in focus ahead of six-pointer in Cardiff 0
- Major League Soccer Preview: An alternate view of the 2014 regular season 3
- Premier League Power Rankings: Top four shuffle, as pivotal stretch arrives – Week 28 0
- Everton is Focused on Beating Arsenal
- Moyes and Martinez Back Cleverley
- Luis Suarez Continues to Say the Right Things
- RSL 2014 Season Preview
- Portland Timbers Season Preview
- Toronto FC Season Preview
- Duvall, Oyongo & Stevenson Sign Contracts with NY Red Bulls
- Moyes Writes Open Letter to Man United Fans
- San Jose Earthquakes: Players To Watch In 2014 Season
- A Good Start Would Go A Long Way for the Chicago Fire