Jan 15, 2014, 2:12 PM EDT
Nemanja Matic’s rumored return to Stamford Bridge is now a reality, as the 25-year-old Serbian playmaker was unveiled as the latest Blues player on Wednesday.
Matic and 25 millions Euros went to Benfica in 2011 in order for Chelsea to pick up David Luiz, and now the two are teammates after Chelsea paid 21 million pounds to reacquire the midfielder.
It’s a five and a half year deal for Matic, who gave a Q&A to Chelsea’s official web site and was asked about his new manager Jose Mourinho:
Yes, we have spoken. He said to be professional, to give my best for the team. It’s exciting to work with him, he is the best coach in the world and I want to work with him for a long time. I am ready.
The player said Tuesday that he had played his last game for Benfica and thanked the club for its support, going as far as to say the higher-ups at his Portuguese club had done everything they could to make him stay but that he needed his return to London.
Matic will wear the No. 21 shirt for Chelsea.
What, if anything, will this mean for Juan Mata? It feels like every big club’s being mentioned for his services, from Manchester United to Bayern Munich to even Tottenham. If Kevin de Bruyne’s off to Wolfsburg, there could be a decent bit of turnaround in the Chelsea midfield.
- Everton willing to set club transfer record to bring Lukaku back 3
- Arsenal on the verge of signing Calum Chambers from Southampton 1
- Knee injury will keep Lallana out of Liverpool’s Premier League opener 0
- A quick guide to who’s come and gone from Premier League teams 2
- Didier Drogba has officially rejoined Jose Mourinho at Chelsea 4
- FIFA says World Cup will stay in Russia, “can achieve positive change” 9