Jan 15, 2014, 2:12 PM EDT
Nemanja Matic’s rumored return to Stamford Bridge is now a reality, as the 25-year-old Serbian playmaker was unveiled as the latest Blues player on Wednesday.
Matic and 25 millions Euros went to Benfica in 2011 in order for Chelsea to pick up David Luiz, and now the two are teammates after Chelsea paid 21 million pounds to reacquire the midfielder.
It’s a five and a half year deal for Matic, who gave a Q&A to Chelsea’s official web site and was asked about his new manager Jose Mourinho:
Yes, we have spoken. He said to be professional, to give my best for the team. It’s exciting to work with him, he is the best coach in the world and I want to work with him for a long time. I am ready.
The player said Tuesday that he had played his last game for Benfica and thanked the club for its support, going as far as to say the higher-ups at his Portuguese club had done everything they could to make him stay but that he needed his return to London.
Matic will wear the No. 21 shirt for Chelsea.
What, if anything, will this mean for Juan Mata? It feels like every big club’s being mentioned for his services, from Manchester United to Bayern Munich to even Tottenham. If Kevin de Bruyne’s off to Wolfsburg, there could be a decent bit of turnaround in the Chelsea midfield.
- Thursday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: Lambert to West Brom, Balotelli back to Italy 3
- Premier League 2015-16 season preview: Manchester United 6
- MLS All Stars 2-1 Tottenham Hotspur: Kaka powers MLS to win 6
- Men in Blazers podcast: Chelsea’s John Terry joins Rog and Davo 0
- Swiss star Barnetta moves to MLS; Orlando City signs a pair of Europeans 4
- Premier League 2015-16 season preview: Manchester City 1