Jan 16, 2014, 11:25 AM EDT
The Football Association officially confirmed today that the England National Team will play two friendlies in Miami’s Sun Life Stadium in preparation for the 2014 World Cup.
The first match will be against Ecuador on Wednesday, June 4th at 3:00 pm ET and the second will come three days later against Honduras, on Saturday, June 7th at 4:45pm ET.
Prior to their US trip, England will play a friendly against Peru at Wembley Stadium on Friday, May 30th.
Following the friendlies in Miami, Roy Hodgson’s team will head directly to Rio de Janeiro, where they will be based during the tournament. The Three Lions plan to travel to Manaus, the site of their first group game against Italy, two days before the June 14th kickoff. The afternoon-time friendlies in Miami are designed climatize England to the searing temperatures they will face in Brazil.
Hodgson spoke about the World Cup preparation on Thursday: “I’m delighted with the games we have been able to secure and the programme running up to the World Cup in general.
“I was clear to those responsible at The FA that I was looking for Central and South American opposition ahead of the tournament and that is exactly what has been delivered.
“In our training camps here and abroad, I hope to foster the spirit and work ethic that we are going to need out in Brazil.
“It is a tournament I want us to enjoy, but to do that we must work hard and play well.”
England and Ecuador have played twice before, with the Three Lions winning both matches, a 2-0 friendly in 1970 and a 1-0 in the second round of the 2006 World Cup. This will be England’s first match ever against Honduras.
- Jose Mourinho issues Chelsea injury update; believes Arsenal can win Premier League 0
- After 12-year absence, Southampton wholeheartedly embrace European return 1
- Theo Walcott signs lucrative four-year contract at Arsenal; Cazorla extends 0
- Thursday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: Lambert to West Brom, Balotelli back to Italy 3
- Premier League 2015-16 season preview: Manchester United 6
- MLS All Stars 2-1 Tottenham Hotspur: Kaka powers MLS to win 6