Jan 16, 2014, 9:56 AM EDT
West Ham United are desperate to keep midfielder Ravel Morrison despite a seemingly unscrupulous interest from Fulham.
The Manchester United academy product has been one of the lone bright spots for the 17th-placed Hammers this season, tallying three goals and three assists in 15 appearances.
The central midfielder, who can play in either an attacking or holding role, has caught the eye of many with his marauding counter-attacking runs that have split opposition defenses on a number of occasions this year.
In fact, he’s the exact kind of dynamic midfield presence that a club like Fulham are searching for. So they bid on him. And when Cottagers manager Rene Meulensteen was asked about the player on Tuesday, he replied: “Yes, I think he does want to come [to Craven Cottage].”
Then Meulensteen went deeper, noting Fulham’s failed bid for the young talent: “We have put in a bid that has been knocked back. He would add pace, power, unpredictability and a real attacking threat.”
The comments were enough to send West Ham into a frenzy and on Wednesday, the East London club allegedly issued a complaint to the Premier League.
Though the league has yet to confirm receipt of an official complaint, the outrage is believed to pertain to Premier League ruling T.8, concerning “statements made publicly by or on behalf of a club expressing interest in acquiring the registration of a contract player.”
If the league finds Fulham to be in breach of the rule the club could face a reprimand, fine or have the case could be referred to the Football Association.
Despite the speculation surrounding Morrison’s future West Ham assistant manager Neil McDonald confirmed Thursday that the midfielder will be in the squad to play against Newcastle on Saturday.
- Three things we learned from the USMNT’s late 1-1 draw in Switzerland 0
- Player ratings: Stars and flops for the USMNT in 1-1 draw at Switzerland 8
- Switzerland 1-1 USMNT: Another late equalizer cancels out Shea’s stunner 2
- VIDEO: Watch Brek Shea’s stunning free kick for USA against Switzerland 2
- Lineups out for USMNT vs. Switzerland: Williams, Morales, Shea come in; diamond in midfield 2
- VIDEO: Watch Real Madrid’s Gareth Bale dominate NBA’s half court challenge 0